Question for Utility Ladies....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Utility Ladies....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for Utility Ladies....

On the scent articles, do you turn and sit your dog, or send directly to the pile and why?

I haven't done either yet. I'm still letting Ruger sit and watch me place the article out there... but I was reading the rulebook and am undecided which to do. I probably would have him sit and then send him... but then I could lose points if he doesn't sit square (he tends to park that little yella butt out at an angle). I can send directly... but we'd need to work on that as I've never done it... would you lose points if he runs crooked to the pile?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for Utility Ladies....

A lot of people around here turn and send. They like the drive it creates along with the excitment and speed of getting to the pile to work.

I turn and sit. Caleb has such a high retrieve drive that when I tried to turn and send he either hit the pile so fast that he sent articles flying or would run out there and mouth every single article before he settled down to work. So, because he needs more control, I turn and send.

With the turn and send you have to watch that they don't go too wide. With the turn and sit you might get a crocked sit. Both have their good and bad points. Like so many other things, it is which will work better for Ruger.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I'm thinking turn and send. Mainly because I don't want that extra sit and also he tends to get a little laggy at shows (I think that is his "stress" indicator). If he'll be a bit more excited by turn and send.. that would work for us. He doesn't charge the pile now. So I don't think he'd start at a show (again, he tends to get slow and laggy when stressed).

There are so many little nuiances I don't know about Utility.

When you turn and send, can you still give a "mark" signal with your arm? And thinking about it now.. .can you give the "mark" signal with your arm on the go-outs? I believe you CAN on the gloves... but it must be a continous movement thing. Am I correct?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope someday all of this will begin to sink in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    When you turn and send, can you still give a "mark" signal with your arm?* And thinking about it now.. .can you give the "mark" signal with your arm on the go-outs?* I believe you CAN on the gloves... but it must be a continous movement thing.* Am I correct?

Sorry for all the questions.* I hope someday all of this will begin to sink in.*
    No. Before you turn you can give your dog the palm of your hand to smell. To let them know what they are doing you allow them to see the stewards putting the articles out. It is between exercises so if you want to talk to him and tell him he'll be doing articles (some people do that!) you can. But, you cannot give a signal/motion with your arm on the turn and send or the turn/sit/send.

Yes, gloves you are suppose to.

Go outs you can give them a line before the exercise and then you can give them the go out "signal" with your arm. Some don't like to do that cause you can actually push your dog off center when you do that (I have seen that too and even people push their dog's attention to the incorrect glove--if they have three they are listing so that they force the dog's attention onto glove number two).

You have the correct idea--do a lot of matches and run-thrus before you go into the ring so you know what the rules are. I almost always read my rule book each time again before I go into the ring--even for Open--just to refresh myself.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

But, you cannot give a signal/motion with your arm on the turn and send or the turn/sit/send.
    So, how do you cue them. As I begin to pivot/turn would I just say, "Ruger, find it?"

Another question....

Orders are the same as in the Novice Heel on
    Leash, except for the judge’s order to “Stand your
    dog.” This order will only be given when dog and
    handler are walking at a normal pace and will be
    followed by the order “Leave your dog.”
    Okay, so I am heeling, judge tells me to "stand your dog". I give my signal to Ruger to stand. Do I stand next to him at heel position and wait for the "leave your dog" command. I'm confused because a local trainer told me to stand him and immediately move off??? This doesn't sound right after reading these directions. I believe I can give a signal for him to STAND and also another signal for him to STAY.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Another question....

Orders are the same as in the Novice Heel on
    Leash, except for the judge’s order to “Stand your
    dog.” This order will only be given when dog and
    handler are walking at a normal pace and will be
    followed by the order “Leave your dog.”
    Okay, so I am heeling, judge tells me to "stand your dog".* I give my signal to Ruger to stand.* Do I stand next to him at heel position and wait for the "leave your dog" command.* I'm confused because a local trainer told me to stand him and immediately move off???* This doesn't sound right after reading these directions.* I believe I can give a signal for him to STAND and also another signal for him to STAY.*

On the signal exercise, yes you stand next to your dog until the judge tells you to leave. On the moving stand you stand the dog and keep on going. On the moving stand you can give a verbal AND signal but on the signal exercise, of course, it is just the signal (my isn't that a profound statement!!! LOL!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

I'm thinking maybe a beer before competition might help. There is so much to remember

I know at the Match I'm going to mess up. Hopefully Annette will be kind... she's the "judge". She's worked with me and Ruger in the past for Open. But she tends to be extra hard on us because she knows what we can do. Sigh.....

I will need to get together with her again for some Utility work. I can see that now.

That is part of the reason why Lew so wanted me to get into Mike and Linda's classes. There is soooooooooo much and so many little things. Especially when you begin to put all the pieces of the exercises together. These lessons have certainly been worth it!!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

You are lucky to have someone who teaches the higher levels of utility. We have very few people around here. The two I work with the most.. one has done Utility and is currently a judge... the other has handled thru OTCH but she's a BC person and works her dogs much differently than I can with a lab.. still she has been invaluable to me with what I'm supposed to do, etc.

Connie Cleveland is upstate, but honestly I don't have the time or the money to take lessons from her, and her seminars always fill so quickly it's nearly impossible to get in.

I'll keep plucking away at it and see if we can at the very least not make fools of ourselves in the ring ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast