Agility Brag

Thread: Agility Brag

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility Brag

Zeke and I have been training in agility for a couple years now (not all year, on and off with lessons) but we've never trialed. He just cannot stay WITH me...he's got to run off and play.

However, this week he came back each time I called him Even under distracting circumstances....except for one time when he was robbing the treats table. (I've been pounding this recall thing into his head for 5 months and it FINALLY clicked!)

THats my brag....haha.

Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility Brag

Well, that's a good brag. Soon he will be staying with you and completing a course and getting a Q!

When I first started with Magnum, the first run she ever did was wonderful and we Q'd and took a 3rd. (We only entered one thing at this trial).

The next trial, she would not stay with me and kept leaving the ring to go visit.

The way I ended up curing her of this was to set myself up so that I ran between her and the ring gating.. which was pretty hard in some instances and pretty awkward, but just positioning myself between her and "leaving the ring" made her focus on the task at hand and kept her in the ring and also, thankfully, cured her!!!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Even under distracting circumstances....except for one time when he was robbing the treats table. (
    Haha!* Been there done that so don't feel you are alone.* Murray spied the workers leftover lunches piled by a garbage can just as he topped the A-frame.* He dove head first into the garbage and no amount of clapping, calling, screaming was going to get him back. I had to scruff him which of course is an immediately dismissal.* : The next weekend another yellow Lab cleared the treats table that had been set up between the rings.* Everyone thought it was Murray again.*I actually had to defend my boy's honor. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Murray spied the workers leftover lunches piled by a garbage can just as he topped the A-frame. He dove head first into the garbage and no amount of clapping, calling, screaming was going to get him back.
    Oh, thank you all! I feel so much better now. When we've taken agility classes Theo has been the only Lab, and the food thing is so embarrassing. All the little border collies and Aussies can give you a complex. (Although our trainer's dog--AX AJX--has been known to run off course to bark and squirrels.)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Don't let the BCs and Aussies give you a complex. We've been running some new games in training and Murray (the only Lab in the group) has beaten the BCs, Shelties, and Aussies every time. Why? Because he's consistent. The BCs are fast but they can also be out of control. I'll take my lunch muncher over a BC anyday of the week.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree about the BC and Aussies. They sure are fast, but most of the time they blow off course. Ruger may be a tad slower but he usually nails the course with a few seconds to spare. And Magnum ended up being Miss Consistancy.. she was so ON it amazed me. Unfortunately her injury ended her career :-\

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I agree about the BC and Aussies.* They sure are fast, but most of the time they blow off course.* Ruger may be a tad slower but he usually nails the course with a few seconds to spare.* And Magnum ended up being Miss Consistancy.. she was so ON it amazed me.* Unfortunately her injury ended her career* :-\
    What I found so interesting about the trainer's BCs in our classes (and remember, this is just fun recreational agility for beginners) is how wide they like to work (she's always working on pulling them in), and how astonishing their peripheral vision is. They look like they're not watching, but they see every cue she gives them. She has also trained them for herding, so this could have something to do with the way they communicate.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Congratulations again! It is a worthy brag!

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

More to brag about now!!!

Zeke did even BETTER this week....and OUTSIDE.

He went off course a total of 3 times in 1 hour. Once was when we were just starting, the other two were because a malinois was racing around us in circles and Zeke broke his stay. However, he came back ALL 3 times.

We *finally* got to show off his awesome-ness and he did so well he was demo-dog for a little while and kicked major booty! (even though class isn't competition, hehe). This is after TWO years of HORRIBLE attention, TERRIBLE recalls, and ALWAYS off course.

Apparently good things DO come to those who....err....work their tails off for two years with no improvement until last week.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Woo hoo! You guys are on a roll! Congratulations!