Obedience ?

Thread: Obedience ?

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience ?

Right now Zeke and I are really just focusing on Rally and Agility training. However, I would REALLY like to do formal obed eventually.

Technically, he can do it right now except for one crippling problem. Zeke goes to pieces when strangers try to pet him...

He cannot pass the CGC, he cannot meet more than 1 person at a time and even then it shakes him up....but other than that he is actually a pretty "in control" dog. Nothing startles him, he's not afraid of anything.....except new people. Which means, he cannot do the "stand for exam" because he would run away from the judge.

Has anyone here worked through a problem like that? How? (He gets out and sees people a lot, but its almost impossible to find someone to pet him....everyone gets nervous about being bitten when they see him start to fall apart).
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

DefaultRe: Obedience ?

I forgot to mention, Zeke is 4years old and he's been like this since les than 1yr.* He was a stray with a sketchy past....but he is actually doing a LOT better.*

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Don't start out by having people pet him. Try having people just walk by him while you are shoveling treats into his mouth. Then they walk toward him, pause (not looking at him) and then continue walking. GRADUALLY, the person can pause closer and closer to Zeke. Might take weeks, or months to get to the point where Zeke will let a person touch hiom with out his freaking out.

Have you tried getting other people to feed him treats? Some people do not like other people ot offer treats to their dogs, but this might help Zeke

Formal obedience aside, this probably is a good thing to work on/through with him, in case someone else might have to touch him, lead him or take care of him in an "emergency"
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

He's fine with people walking up to him, sitting beside him, holding his leash.....

He just shys away when their hand starts towards him...sometimes if they just absentmindedly reach down, he's fine and is totally oblivious that he's being petted. He loves getting treats from people too.....anyone. Last year at the beach he was stalking some kid that had bacon....he got the bacon (the kid (15ish) gave it to him VOLUNTARILY....no snatching involved) and since the kid gave him bacon....Zeke suddenly went all "normal" and acted like he wasn't afraid of anyone.

A lot of the time, he's fine until the "stranger" (ie. CGC tester, friend of mine) remembers he's a bit shy and starts babying him and saying "its all right, I'm just going to pet you on the head". Then when their tone of voice gets a little worried....he totally shuts down. Although, sometimes he shuts down anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...he's not afraid of people, he just is afraid of the act of petting...apparently. And his reactions are not consistent....not even to the same people.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

A judge wouldn't say anything to your dog as they do the exam. When we do show and go's and I am the Novice judge I walk toward the dog and touch each one confidently expecting them to stay. See if you can get your training friends to approach your dog in that manner.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo