looking for advice on where to go from here

Thread: looking for advice on where to go from here

rockwater is offline Senior Member

Defaultlooking for advice on where to go from here

Hi all, I have been reading this forum for months but decided to join it tonight and take a more active role in participating in the forum.* Thanks to all for taking part and helping me these last couple of months.

So, I am proud dad Of Morgan who just completed his Level One Obedience.* He graduated "Top Dog in Class", I was so proud.* He did so well, wants to please and catches onto things very very easily even though he is only 9 months old.* So, I have to wait until September for the next levels to start, problem is I do not want to wait until then to teach him more skills but also do not want to teach him how to do the skills wrong either.

So, we are working on polishing the basics...he has loose leash heel, sit, upsit, down, down stay, stand stay and finish down fairly well.* Working him now with distractions and he is amazing me every day.* I have started working him on a long line with the above skills and again he is doing well and I believe that by September I will have him working through all of those skills quite easily both on and off leash and over fairly long distances (right now we are at the end of our 50 foot long line).

So, my question for all is where to go from here?* m Morgan's point of view, I want to keep things lively for him and have him not get bored with things.* He is really loving the challenge and is so quick to pick up on things.* From my own point of view, I really would love to walk into the course in September and show the instructor that my dog can already do it all and get into the more advanced skills.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you once again
    Proud dad to Morgan and Tanner.<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: looking for advice on where to go from here

Begin to add distractions--go to a soccar of baseball game and work him. Go to a shopping center. Change locations. There is almost always some regression but do not be afraid to take a couple steps back and you will be quickly where you were. Most people don't want to take those steps back. Go to a playground, etc. I take mine to lots of different places to work. The park gets him everytime with all those smells.

Just one idea.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Wow! I'm jealous - sounds like you have a great dog there! Even if you don't have any desire to "show in obedience" , you might want to take in an obedience or rally show at this time too. With your dog doing so well, I'm positive you'll get "bitten by the bug" and want to compete in obedience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. That is what I am doing right now. I have a soccer pitch/softball feild next to where I live. I have been taking him there for the last week and working things through with him. So far no trouble with other people and commotion going on around him. He does not really like doing the skills with this kind of activity going on around him but he still does. Now when another dog comes around that shows an interest in him, that is another issue...he can be such a goof ball.

And as for showing him, I have not ruled it out yet. My instructor talked to me about entering a team in the next set of trials in September and said he would like me to consider entering Morgan. So...this is not out of the question

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Go to http://www.akc.org/events/rally/index.cfm and review some of the signs for the Rally exercises. Many of the signs are just different combinations of what you already know (sit, halt/down/walk around the dog, finishes left and right, halt/stand, fast forward from a sit, etc) so it will keep obedience interesting for you and the dog. Also there is a lot of weaving, circling, etc using cones. This keeps heeling fun and interesting. Rally is what us old timers call doodling. It's a bunch of random exercises rather than the formal, sequential exercises of traditional obedience. I think you and the dog would really enjoy working on Rally over the summer even if you never intend to compete in it.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. I'll take a read up on it and go from there.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree with adding distractions... take him to as many different locations as you can and practice. Be sure to keep it upbeat and fun.

A word of warning to you... You will most likely hit that "problem time" when your dog forgets everything he knows and acts like a total idiot... trust me, it's happened to all of us ;D With mine it was pretty soon after the nine-month mark too.