Rally Pivots.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Rally Pivots.

  1. #1
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultRally Pivots.

    Can someone please, please,please explain in great detail how to train left pivots?

    Zeke always swings out and ends up facing me with a silly grin "was that right??" :

    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    theoconbrio is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    AccountKiller
    Posts
    16,129

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    I'm a novice, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

    First, your dog needs to understand that heel is really straight. You can train this by heeling against a curb, or taking one step at a time with a chair on your left, so there's just enough room for the dog to fit through.

    Next is to teach the dog to move his hind end independently. You can heel in very tight counterclockwise circles, or heel around a chair (chair is on your left) as above.

    Also you can cut a 36" circle board, about 2" off the ground. Heel clockwise with your dog standing on the board. If he doesn't move his butt independently, he'll fall off the board.

    I'm curious to hear what others will suggest. I found the folding chair to be the easiest and most flexible tool for this exercise.

    One other thing: I found that the tighter and cleaner Theo's left finish got, the better he understood the left pivot. I use a variant of the same hand signal (verbal cue: "swing") for both commands.

  4. #3
    Fallriver's Avatar
    Fallriver is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,233

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    In addition to the above, you can also use a second leash and wrap it along the outside of him, over his butt, just under his tail. Hold the leash in your right hand. As you pivot left, put slight pressure on the leash and make sure you mark as soon as he begins to use his rear. Once he is pushing his rear toward you, you can give it a cue (i.e. get it 'in') and then you can give him that cue while you are moving.
    You can also use a dowel to tap his rear while doing this too, but make sure your body posture is the same as he will see without the dowel.
    You also need to teach dogs rear end awareness outside of this exercise. Teach him to place his two front feet on a stool and pivot around it by moving only his rear feet. Do a lot of walking, frontwards and backwards, over ground poles placed at different angles and distances as well.
    Dana


    To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    I tried using a 2nd leash around his back end, but he got very focused on trying to remove that leash instead of paying attention. He hates things on his back/rear. Same with tapping with a dowel....things touching him get him totally unfocused and worked up (he is a slightly odd, kinda quirky, rescue type lab).

    I think I will try heeling backwards, heeling in tight circles, and teaching him to pivot around a stool. That sounds like it could work.

    He can do a left pivot *if* I put my left foot sorta in front of him, but thats not a real pivot.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

  7. #5
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    In addition to the above, you can also use a second leash and wrap it along the outside of him, over his butt, just under his tail.* Hold the leash in your right hand.* As you pivot left, put slight pressure on the leash and make sure you mark as soon as he begins to use his rear.* Once he is pushing his rear toward you, you can give it a cue (i.e. get it 'in') and then you can give him that cue while you are moving.
    You can also use a dowel to tap his rear while doing this too, but make sure your body posture is the same as he will see without the dowel.
    You also need to teach dogs rear end awareness outside of this exercise.* Teach him to place his two front feet on a stool and pivot around it by moving only his rear feet.* Do a lot of walking, frontwards and backwards, over ground poles placed at different angles and distances as well.
    Some people actually put the leash under the dog's belly infront of their hind legs--boys don't appreciate it much!!! ;D Gee, imagine that!

    Caleb is such a hoot--he always grabs the dowel rod so I have had to improvise.

    I do left turns and then take a step back, then two then three. Not only teaches the left pivot but also a good left turn, and the three steps back as well.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  8. #6
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    Yellow Boys Mom.....can you explain "I do left turns and then take a step back, then two then three. Not only teaches the left pivot but also a good left turn, and the three steps back as well. "

    I'm not sure I understand....
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

  9. #7
    rottnlabs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,187

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    Hind end awareness is key for left turns and pivots. Believe it or not, most dogs don't even know they have a rear end and just assume it's this thing that follows them around. ;D

    Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Also you can cut a 36" circle board, about 2" off the ground. Heel clockwise with your dog standing on the board. If he doesn't move his butt independently, he'll fall off the board.

    That's what I do too but I also teach the dog to heel forward and backward on the board. Then we graduate to the next size smaller board (24" I think) and so on down to 8". These are standard sizes at Home Depot. Just nail 1x1s under the edges so the board is raised but does not tip. At first the dog will get up and step off the board. Put him back on and try again. Then he'll take a couple of steps before stepping off. Soon he'll heel all the way around without stepping off. Then teach him to go backwards. When he can go forward and backward, graduate to the next size smaller board.

    Another way is to hold the leash behind you with your right hand. Keep the leash up snug to you, no slack at all. Tell the dog to "get back' or whatever your command will be as you step back slightly with your left leg and start your pivot toward your dog. The leash is already snug and will get more snug as you make the turn if the dog doesn't start moving. Praise as soon as the dog gets up and starts moving.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

  10. #8
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Rally Pivots.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Yellow Boys Mom.....can you explain "I do left turns and then take a step back, then two then three.* Not only teaches the left pivot but also a good left turn, and the three steps back as well. "

    I'm not sure I understand....
    When I am doing heeling drills, I make a left turn and then take a step back, telling him "back." If he throws his rear out I will take a step forward and then backwards again commanding "back." I had to work hard at teaching this cause this is really strange to them (like none of the other training is!!!). When he gets the one step back I add another and then another until we are doing the three steps back. Again, this teaches him to move his rear around so when we work on piviots he can move his rear around along with me.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25