Help with recall

Thread: Help with recall

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp with recall

Emilu and I took a rather long break from training, but we're back at it again. She did surprisingly well, considering that we hadn't done anything for several weeks. I need help with the recall command. I know this seems like one of the most basic commands, and that we should have this one down pat - but we don't. The biggest problem is that she walks slowly to me instead of trotting, or heaven forbid, actually running! Emilu likes to pretty much walk instead of trot anyways, even on walks through the woods, and her natural pace with retrieving, is to walk slowly and steadily back to me. The last time I was at class, we spent a lot of time with me running back and forth to her in front of everyone (I think mostly to punish me for "spoiling Emilu") and I don't wish to repeat this when we return back to class. what suggestions do you have for "picking up the pace" so to speak, on recall? I am thinking about calling it something else too. I have a hard time making "come" sound anything but like a harsh command. I like "vamos", which means (in my broken Spanish) "let's go". I like 2 syllable words better anyways, and we seem to be stuck with bad karma on "come". This way I can kinda start over, with a fresh command and a new way of doing it - the correct way!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help with recall

Few things--one is the turn and run, which you are basically doing.

Another idea is have a toy--tennis ball, squeeky that she loves and when she starts to come, spread your legs and throw it through so she will run through your legs to get the toy.* A lot of the OTCh handlers in our area do that for dogs who have slowed on the DOR.

When I give my "Caleb Come" it is really more on the high pitch side and even drawn out into two syllables.* Next time you are at a show listen to some of the "tones" of the recalls especially some of the advance classes.

Have a special treat for the come--something she does not normally get.

And remember she does not have to run to you just a brisk pace.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom

Another idea is have a toy--tennis ball, squeeky that she loves and when she starts to come, spread your legs and throw it through so she will run through your legs to get the toy.
    That's what I did when Murray slowed down after learning the DOR. It worked like a charm. It also works for getting close fronts too. I also use food thrown between my legs. Murray LOVES this game. I always use a high value treat for the recall...leftover chicken or steak works really well.

Also, I don't turn and run, I run backwards (still facing the dog). Make sure there isn't anything behind you though.

Another thing you can try is teaching the recall using another command (or hand signal if you want). If you've always used "front" use "come' or "here" or whatever and reteach starting at the beginning.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs

That's what I did when Murray slowed down after learning the DOR. It worked like a charm.* It also works for getting close fronts too. I also use food thrown between my legs.* Murray LOVES this game. I always use a high value treat for the recall...leftover chicken or steak works really well.

It does work well except for the lady who is rather short with a very large dog. It was a hoot when she tried it. Now, can you just visualize what the result was!!!!! I saw this at a show when she was "warming" the dog up. I sitll smile when I think of that!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

What worked with Libby for recall was to "jack-pot" her with her favorite (heck, anything for Libby is a favorite) treat- giving about 20 little tiny pieces in rapid succession after she came and sat in front of me. She LOVES treats, so she thought I was giving her the world when she got so many (even tiny) at one time.

She now races up to me so quickly that I instinctively brace myself for impact, though she's never knocked me over yet. LOL There will be a first for that, I'm sure...and with my luck, it will be in the middle of a dog show.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

If the turn and run thing isn't working then I say she doesn't believe you would actually run away from her. Try doing it with someone else to watch. Call her front and turn and turn and run outside keep running until she runs after you. When she finally thinks "Hey! Mom is actually leaving" she will run, believe me, and when she does, have something particularly good for her with lots of praise.

Also leaving her and giving her a few corrections to get up and going with the run will work. You can also practice in the yard or home. I call both of my dogs, and they know only the first one to me gets the treat. They really can motor it then!

patm is offline Senior Member

Right now she is doing well with it (of course- now that I've complained about it!). She is really motivated since we started back up, and I am trying to keep the happy mometum going. I changed the command to "vamos", and re-inforce it whenever she runs toward me for any reason I yell "vamos Emilu, vamos!" and praise her when she gets to me. We are also stepping up the pace with everything, so she gets used to trotting more - she really is a slow-poke!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I yell "vamos Emilu, vamos!"
    Be careful giving a known command twice or she will learn not to respond until you give the 2nd command which is an NQ in a show. It's also will be a very hard habit for you to break. Just say "Emilu, vamos!" If you are changing the command to "vamos" from something like "here", I would link those 2 command for awhile and say Emilu, vamos, here and gradually fade the "here" portion over time. It will be easy to drop it since it is the last thing you say and Emilu should start moving on vamos eventually. Your other option is to retrain the recall from step one, up close (just a few feet away at first) on a leash, and use only vamos as the command. She already knows how to front so it will go much more quickly the second time. You are just trying to link the new command "vamos" with the old action.

Another tip...always use the dog's name first. The purpose of using the dog's name in the first place is to ensure that the dog is paying attention to you when you give the command. If you say "vamos Emilu" she may be distracted by something until she hears her name then she says "oh, mom's talking to me" but its too late, she missed the command because it came first when she wasn't paying attention.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE