Just a little bit of good news from today's show in Pasadena, CA...

Thread: Just a little bit of good news from today's show in Pasadena, CA...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust a little bit of good news from today's show in Pasadena, CA...

Monty was the only guy around until BOW (a beautiful little bitch took it- I think they were able to swing a point at least!), but I heard from a couple of people how good he looked, and he seems to be getting more "up" in the ring with a bit more wag to his tail, which is the entire point right now of taking him out there in the "gangly" 7.5month phase. LOL

Libby completely shut down on me in Novice A Obedience- it was broiling hot, in the sun with only one corner of shade (one of the dogs, a greater Swiss Mt. dog, kept making a bee-line for the shade during its off-leash heel exercises, and would just stand there staring at her handler like "what on earth are you people doing out in the sun?!?"), and while we did very well in the on-leash heel, figure 8, stand-for-exam, and 3-min down, we got NQ in the 1-min sit-stay (she layed down- they all did...nobody Q'ed today in Novice A) and in our off-leash heeling. I kept heeling the pattern, and I lost Libby on the second part of the "L" to whatever smells were on the ground...several "Excused" for eliminating in the ring today, so who knows what was over there. She did eventually come back to me and finish out her heeling exercises, so it wasn't all a bust. LOL

But....she got a 3rd place and her first leg in Rally-Novice A today!!! It was a score of 89 (out of 100), and still hot and gross, but I went in after lunch break after hosing both dogs down, and she felt much better and though her nose was to the ground through a lot of it and I wasn't really expecting that much, we Q'ed! :-) Yay! She got to bring home a beautiful medal, a nice yellow rosette, and of course, her little coveted flat green ribbon today.

They are currently sacked out and enjoying the A/C... it was HOT down in Pasadena this weekend. I think yesterday was worse (no breeze), but I don't know what we would have done without my friend's pop-up tent! Well into the 90's (not sure of the exact figure...it was supposed to reach 108!) :-)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just a little bit of good news from today's show in Pasadena, CA...

Sorry about the Novice class but that is wonderful about the first Rally leg!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the Rally leg. You were smart to wet down your dog for the Rally run. I swear I think these dogs are made of butter. Murray is a melter too. He does not do well in the heat at all.

So sorry about the obedience run. I'm sure you know this already but I'll repeat it for anyone else who might not know... You can give a 2nd command to heel and still Q so don't be afraid to use it. Many Nov A people are afraid to give a 2nd command during heeling. A 2nd command can save a bad run. Also, if you are going to NQ because the heeling sucks anyway, why not give a 3rd command if necessary. Also, walk faster to keep the dog's attention during heeling. Everyone thinks they are walking fast but if they were to watch themselves on video, they would see that most people slow way down in the ring. It's a nervous reaction.

A couple of other tricks I use because Murray hates the long sits...

1. I always wet down Murray for the long sits/downs. I soak his head (I want the brain cool and thinking clearly) and his arm pits and belly. I don't wet his back because it can cause them to itch as it trickles down their back.

2. I do not have Murray sit while everyone is coming into the ring and the judge is giving the briefing. Murray hates to sit so I don't want him sitting any longer than normal.

3. Make sure the dog is sitting square on his haunches, not sitting sloppy on one hip or in the puppy sit. If he isn't sitting square, quickly repositioned him. I usually take a half step forward asking Murray to heel so he stands up then sits down sq again. I've found they are less likely to lay down if they are sitting square.

4. When the judge says "sit your dogs" I tell Murray "sit". When the judge says "leave your dogs", I give Murray the hand signal to stay and repeat "SIT!" sternly to remind him. The rules don't say you have to use "stay" so help your dog in whatever way possible.

Another trick I'm going to try with Essy, is from my training buddy (currently training for an OTCH). She NEVER asks the dog to go from sitting to laying down. She has her dog sit, then stand, then down so the dog never connects sit with down in his little doggy mind. She said even in the ring she will ask the dog to stand before downing. She said some judges tell her that the dog must be sitting but she said there is nothing in the rules to that effect and has never been NQd for it.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the rally leg .......... the next time will be better in novice. We had a number of dogs go down in the open B ring this weekend.

Good hints, Lydia. Some of them I knew and others I didn't.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Very good hints- thank you!

Since it was our first show together, I was pretty pleased with how she did in those hot, hot circumstances. LOL The heeling seems to be a problem with most of the dogs that I've seen have problems in Novice A/B. I'll have to concentrate on speeding up my steps a bit. Good idea about wetting down before long sits/downs, too.

Interesting about the sit-stand-down thing, too. Maybe when it comes time to work on Monty (we can only handle one thing at a time right now, and conformation is Monty's thing...Libby gets rally/obedience), I'll try that out from the very beginning!

You know, the kicker for me was when someone came up and actually asked whether or not I would be breeding Libby soon, because she would love to buy a puppy. Sigh. Anyone who has ever seen Libby in person knows that she is nowhere near the breed standard, plus she had surgery at 6 months of age on both elbows for FCP's/elbow dysplasia. She was spayed just prior to that. That poor, unsuspecting woman got a lecture about choosing a responsible, reputable breeder and making sure both parents have health clearances... I hope she doesn't just brush it off.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon