sitting straight

Thread: sitting straight

nattyone is offline Junior Member

Defaultsitting straight

Hi
    Im trying to teach my maddie to sit at my left side and also in front , problem is at the side of me she sits at an angle with her rear sticking out shes almost at right angles to me sometimes . when i try to get her to sit at front she runs into my legs and wiggles about and can end up pretty much anywhere. what is the proper way to teach this , ive tried moving her into position but shesd a hefty lump and usually trying to move her makes her position even worse(if thats at all possible).
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sitting straight

How old is Maddie?* How long have you been working on this?* Have you taken any lessons?

Butt out sits are a PIT butt to fix.* Here are a couple of things to try:

As she begins to sit at your side, lure her head away from you (to her left), this will bring her rear in.* You can do this with the leash or with a treat.* I hold the leash in front of me in my right hand and a treat in my left hand at hip level.* As we come to a halt, I pop the treat out directly to my left (still at waist height) and have the dog sit.* Where the head goes, the butt will follow.* ;D Eventually muscle memory will take over then you'll have to fade the cue.

Practice sitting her next to a curb or wall (curb is on her left) so she can't swing her butt out. Curbs usually work better.* Some dogs are claustrophobic with walls.

A really valuable tool for teaching straight, tight fronts and finishes is the raised place board.* This is a rectangle piece of plywood cut just large enough for the dog to sit on (no bigger).* The dog should be sitting up straight, tucked, nice and square.* Measure from the front of the toes to end of the rump and from the outside of left hip to the outside of the right hip to identify the correct size.* You can add about 1/2" but no more. Nail 1X1s under the edges of the board to raise it up off the ground.* The dog must sit correctly or she will fall off.* If she falls off, step lightly on the offending foot and put her back up on the board. This board can be used for fronts and finishes and go outs.

For fronts, you can use a chute to get the dog to come in straight.* You can use something as simple as 2x4s.* Lay them in a V with you standing at the wide end of the V facing outward.* Call the dog to you as you quickly back up into the narrow end of the V and tell the dog to sit.* The V serves as a visual aid to the dog.* Eventually you can just stand at the narrow end of the V without moving. I also use a treat to lure the dog in to my belly button using both hands.* Once the dog gets the idea, I stop giving the treats with my hands and spit them from my mouth.* This gets the dog close and looking at you.

Later you can begin fronting from odd angles (45, 90, etc). Keep the visual aid up though until you are sure the dog understands how to get into a straight front and what it looks like. Also, DO NOT MOVE to make your dog straight. This is a rooky training error. This teaches the dog that you know how to front straight, not them. They need to see the correct picture so if they are not straight, tell them to "get straight" or whatever and help them into position. If the error is severe, back up a step (or step left or right) and call them front again.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

patm is offline Senior Member

Emilu always sat at my left side with her rump angled out. I found that holding the treat a little off to her left instead of straight in front of her straightened her out real quick. You want to try to do something that makes the dog move themself instead of moving the dog yourself - that way they get the physical feel for it better. Heeling them along a wall so they can't angle when they sit also helps, and I had someone suggest putting boards down, something narrow that they have to walk between so they can't angle out either, but didn't have to do that with Emilu/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi thank you im off to the park to try your sujjestions , not the place board yet as i dont have one and i dont think id be able to get her to sit on it in the first place.
    Maddie is 20 months old , we dont have lessons or a teacher so we just muddle along ourselves . I only just started training her in a specific way . it started out because she still pulled on lead at times so i thought maybe if itaught her some heelwork on the park it might help her focus when out walking. My initial feeling is that it is helping OH reported back to me this morning that he took her out for an hour today and she didnt pull at all other than to say hello to other dogs. Also she loves to retrieve so i thought it would be good to teach her to do it in a controlled way , after all , all training has to keep a dog mentally stimulated and occupied right ? so my plan is to try and train her to sit at my left side , wait for the fetch command bring the toy back and sit in front present the toy with out dropping it and then move to the finish position on command. It sounds easy if you say it fast but ive never trained a dog to do this before and the sitting parts have yet to happen .

we did it this morning we got a fairly reasonable finish and tonight just now i managed to get her into a straight front position . Im so very proud of my girl she finally caught on about moving the bits of her body instead of actually doing an entirely different position. I now have a starting point to build on . Im happy happy happy