Some CGC Issues

Thread: Some CGC Issues

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultSome CGC Issues

We have our last class before taking Mocha's CGC test this week. There are still two things that she has quite a bit of trouble with and I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing them. The 4 classes we've had so far have been exactly the same and she doesn't really give you any suggestion to fix them just goes over and over the test requirements. For example letting a friendly stranger pet her, sometimes she's fine but more often she's a wiggly butt and wants to get all up on people. This is something I've always struggled with and I try very hard to ask people to ignore her until she's calm and I try to do so myself. I try to keep a leash on her when people come over so I can correct her and try to make her sit and stay to greet people. She's almost 2 and I still have such a long way to go she just gets sooooo excited she can't keep her butt from wiggiling. Any suggestions on how to work on this (quickly)? The instructor just tells me to keep talking to her which I do but it dosn't always help. I need to get her out more but it's been raining for like 7 days straight so our walks have been non existant and I haven't been able to take her to the store for practice either.

Our second problem area is the seperation. When we do this in class she always goes for the full 3 minutes and she has us go into a room that has a dark window so we can see them but they can't see us. The first class she whined the entire 3 minutes. She dosn't really look stressed she even layed down for a while but she whines. Last class she only whined maybe half the time but I started correcting her with a AhAH from the other room and she did quiet down for a while then would start back. The instructor thought it was a good idea for me to do this because she would think (wow she can still get to me I should be good). It seems to have helped some as I didn't have to do it as often the second time we did it. It helps if I put her in a down stay before I leave she seems more relaxed that way and normally stays at least most of the time. I've been trying to work with her at home by putting her in the down stay and walking around the deck where I can see her but she can't see me. I normally only do it for short segments trying to build up to the 3 min. I've also tried leaving her with my bf and a neighbor who she knows but she still whines at least some. Any other ideas?

Thanks yu all are such good help.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Some CGC Issues

I don't "teach" the CGC per say but 99% of my beginner students pass the CGC. With the out of sight--need to have a good stay with you just across the room and them work to out of sight. If you always correct (no matter how) from out of sight she'll learn that all she has to do is fuss and you will do something. I would go back to working in sight and have good steady stays that way with distractions/proofing of some sort and then go back out of sight.

To initially teach a "sit for exam" or the petting by a stranger we have the dogs sitting in heel position and the owners stuff food in their mouths while the exam is being done. This quickly progresses to just sitting without the food. Not so much a correction exercise.

The past few CGC tests, all our students have passed who have qualified from our beginner's. The only ones who have not have not trained with us. Weird, but that is how it has gone.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    For example letting a friendly stranger pet her, sometimes she's fine but more often she's a wiggly butt and wants to get all up on people.*
    Teach her a "watch" command.* If she's intently looking at you (and yes you need to talk to her for now...watch, good watch, ahah watch me, sit, good sit, stay, etc) she won't need to worry about the person petting her and its completely legal in the CGC test.* Also, while training, stand on the leash so she can't get up on people then when you get in the ring for the actual test, she'll assume you are standing on the leash.*

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Our second problem area is the seperation.* Last class she only whined maybe half the time but I started correcting her with a AhAH from the other room and she did quiet down for a while then would start back.* The instructor thought it was a good idea for me to do this because she would think (wow she can still get to me I should be good).
    I don't agree with this.* I think its a much better/quicker lesson for the dog to learn that ANYONE can correct them.* If you hand the leash to someone else and Mocha starts whining, that person needs to say "ahah, quiet".* If the whining continues, have them gently pop the leash and repeat "ahah quiet."* Mocha will realize that person means business at that point.*

I'll never forget the first time one of my training buddies corrected Murray for laying down during the out of sight sit. She walked up to him, grabbed his puffy little cheeks, lifted him back into a sit and sternly said "SIT!" The expression on his face was 'Holy crap!* I can't believe she just did that to me. "* It was a defining moment in our training once Murray realized that anyone would and could correct him if I wasn't immediately available.* *;D

I want to understand.* You've been thru the CGC class 4 times or you've had 4 weeks of say an 8 week CGC class.* There is a big difference there.* If you've been thru the same class 4 times and the instructor isn't offering any new ideas to fix these issues, it's time to find a new trainer.* If you are only in week 4 of the class, I'd get it a little more time.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Have you taught the SETTLE command? It may come in use with the greet-a-stranger exercise. If Mocha's getting bouncy, maybe just a reminder to SETTLE (or NO VISIT!) would suffice if that command is pretty solid?

And actually that could work for OOS, too. A firm SETTLE before you go may solve the whining.

It's a 6 week class and we've had 4 classes already and the test is given the 6th week of class.
    I've never been sucessfull in teaching her a SETTLE command I've tried before but I guess I've not been persistant enough. I've been working on NO Visit when I want her to keep walking (such as the nutral dog exercise) or leave another dog or person alone but I've not tried it when they are petting her.

She knows "Watch" but is not proofed on it she watches beautifully while we are heeling but is not as solid otherwise.

I wish I could find someone to help me work with Mocha consistantly. My bf wants her to behave but won't correct her or help me work with her and my family (who would help) is farther away. One neighbor has dabbled in training their dog but mostly just wants to talk and is a softy.

One big component in her being much more calm obviously is exercise but the weather has made that next to impossible the last few weeks. Hopefully it will clear up and I can get her some exercise.

Thank you so much for the advice I will definately keep working on it and try some of the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have any other insite.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree with standing on her leash so she cannot jump on people. Trust me, I know your pain. Ruger STILL acts this way when company comes over (and he's four years old). I still must put him on a leash and stand on it or yank him to the floor when he jumps up. I have never been able to break him of this.. he is SUPER friendly and wants so bacly for other people to love him.

However, now that he is four years old, it only takes him a couple of minutes to calm down and stay off the guests. When he was younger it would take a good 20 minutes.

We flunked the "sit politely for petting" NINE TIMES. We had two legs on our CD before we ever got the CGC. He just could not contain himself when the examiner petted him. Go figure. But he would do the "stand for exam" in Novice... although he'd be in a full body wag. I wanted to STAND him for the Sit Politely For Petting, but was not allowed to do so (as it says Sit).

patm is offline Senior Member

Emilu had the most trouble with greeting a stranger (stranger? what stranger? this is my long lost friend!) and of course the ignoring another dog one. While I knew that we could "talk to our dogs" and give them commands or whatever, I still was thinking that I should do this like I was in a real social situation and that my dog was actually well behaved. It finally dawned on me that I could really give stern comands if needed and pay attention mostly to my dog and give just a bare greeting to the person, or if the person was going to pet my dog, that I am giving my dog whatever attention and command it takes to get her to sit there! When we passed another dog, I was really telling her to "leave it!", which is the best thing I could tell her to try to get her to ignore the other dog.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

When doing the friendly stranger thing, you can try what we did for stands...

Have her sitting, someone approach but just wave their arm over her. Release and praise her for sitting.

Then do again, let the stranger get a bit closer. Again just wave, no touches. Big praise.

Then a bit closer.

Then just the top of the head, remind her to sit, release big praise.

Eventually, yes it works, she can be petted, but start small, and dont make a big deal about it. Tell her to sit, firmly, don't fuss, and then release her right away.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the good tips. Tonight is our last class before the exam hopefully the weather will cooperate a little better this week and we can get out and about and practice and get some exercise. We are also going camping this weekend so hopefully it will be great practice. My parents will be there and they are the only people that I can get to actually help me train her. Wish me luck if you have any other ideas that might help feel free to let me know.
    Thanks,

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!