Learned a good lesson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learned a good lesson

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultLearned a good lesson

I learned an interesting lesson yesterday at class.

CHANGE YOUR BODY POSITION!

We were told to sit on the floor and command our dogs to do the usual tasks, sit, down, over etc.

Rhys would have nothing to do with me! : He was wierded out!

We have something to work on this week. I thought he was doing so well...

I tried it with little Ruby when we got home, and she brought me a toy...hmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Learned a good lesson

Yes, it is a good idea to do this.

When field training, we do all sorts of scenarios. These include sitting in a boat...sitting on a bucket by the water. Another one that we came upon at a pretty challenging HT was a walk up that required us to kneel next to our dog to send them. My dog did fine, but some were like "What the heck are ya doing?!?!"

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Even with the advanced Open/Utility and Novice work I encourage people to change the senario.* Then you'll see if you have a dog that understands the exercise/what is being asked or if you have a dog that has been patterned trained. If you change the pattern of things they fall apart or if you change something they know what they are to do and still do it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good idea. I'll have to try Buddy and see how he does.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

In proofing articles, leave the dog on a wait/stay and go to the other side and send.

Go outs--walk out to where sending the dog and begin to walk around--backwards, toward the dog, etc. I have heard of people actually laying down on the ground and sending the dog on the go-out.

Couple of ideas.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

When we proof for heeling we walk backwards, and even teach the dogs to do so. Ruby loves to do this, Rhys isn't co-ordinated enough to walk forward half the time. Its interesting the first time you do it, how confused they get! Even the figure 8, I have a video somewhere with the dog and handler walking perfectly backwards throughout!

We do a back up as well. May as well teach it and get ready for Rally!!!! ;D It is fun trying to be creative and coming up with different ideas. I know some have thought I was "mean" with all the proofing on sit and down stays. BUT, we rarely have a dog go through out program that has an issue with the stays. Not to brag, but proofing is so vital!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Our trainer walks around the room on the sits and downs and throws kibble...that is evil!

We'll walk between the dogs (now this is the advanced compeition class) with a potato chip bag or some type of food. We'll put food on the floor in front of them and even on recalls and heeling. Beginner's we don't do quite that much. Balls, toys, talk to them, etc.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    Even with the advanced Open/Utility and Novice work I encourage people to change the senario.* Then you'll see if you have a dog that understands the exercise/what is being asked or if you have a dog that has been patterned trained.* If you change the pattern of things they fall apart or if you change something they know what they are to do and still do it.
    I also release while heeling, while doing the figure 8, etc. so that they don't know what the heck the crazy lady they live with will do next so that they better pay attention. ;D

I also bounce tennis balls around them in sits/downs as well as have hubby do that during stand for exams. Of course I also will have him repeat "Call/send your dog" a few tmes before I actually call the dog. I do this even though the judges usually use hand signals to the handler on recalls.

I have also had people drop metal chairs behind them outside the ring during group exercises. We had that happen at a show once....and my dog stayed, but 4 freaked. It happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast