When to start agility training?

Thread: When to start agility training?

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen to start agility training?

This sport looks like so much fun I'd like to join in with Tugg - how does one get started? We are doing basic obedience now and he is a year old. He seems to have most of his growth done, at least he hasn't put on much height or weight for a few months now. Are there things we can start doing at home?
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to start agility training?

Find an agility group near you Or, start building equipment. PVC is easy to work with. I've built tons of jumps and weaves with it.

I started both my dogs out when they were pups. I had them on the contact equipment (A-frame, dogwalk, teeter) when they were really young and they've never been afraid of it.

You can buy play tunnels from Toys R Us to use.

But seriously, try to find a club in your area because they will show you the correct way to train for safety and competition.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to start agility training?

while you are looking for a club, Susan Garrett's book "shaping success" has some wonderful exercises and tips on how to build 'drive' and lay a foundation for a good competition dog.

With the next dog I get, I'll be starting those exercises day one.