Need advice on Articles....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Articles....

DostaffLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice on Articles....

I haven't started articles just yet, but wanted to start reading or watching videos on the subject. Any of you know great books or videos using different training techniques? Thanks for the advice in advance!!!!
    ~Melissa~
    And the Dostaff Girls:
    Abby, Anna, Ava, Brandy, Cali, Holly, and Ruby (and Dixie, too)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need advice on Articles....

I'm using the DeMello method. It's basically very low key and does not allow your dog to make a mistake. It's fun. A lot of BC people use this one. And it's good for labs as it uses a lot of cheese on the articles

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I swear by Dawn Jecs "Simply Scenting" It's quick and easy.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I'm using the DeMello method.* It's basically very low key and does not allow your dog to make a mistake.* It's fun.* A lot of BC people use this one.* And it's good for labs as it uses a lot of cheese on the articles
    YMMV, but I hate this method!

It is soooooooooo time consuming and Haley became focused on the cheese and not actually smelling the articles to see if it was scented. I threw in the towel and went with the tie down mat. SOOOOOOOOO much easier !!

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs

YMMV, but I hate this method!

It is soooooooooo time consuming and Haley became focused on the cheese and not actually smelling the articles to see if it was scented.*
    Then you would love Simply Scenting. I felt that both the "around the clock" and the "tie down" methods were too time consuming. With Simply Scenting, all the articles are out from the beginning and Dawn's method focuses a lot on the run to/from the pile which is something I feel is missing from the other methods.

Now I have to know...what does "YMMV" mean?
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Then you would love Simply Scenting.* I felt that both the "around the clock" and the "tie down" methods were too time consuming.* With Simply Scenting, all the articles are out from the beginning and Dawn's method focuses a lot on the run to/from the pile which is something I feel is missing from the other methods.

Now I have to know...what does "YMMV" mean?
    Interesting! I have not had a Utility dog in a few years so I am not in the loop. I will have to check that out. Is it a video or a book?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary......

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I dislike the idea of never allowing the dog to make a mistake because it is through the mistakes that they learn. I'm going to have to check out that book, too. Buddy doesn't have any problems going to or from the pile. When he decides to go for the right article, he always gets it. Sometimes, in his mind, it's just too much trouble to find the right one. Any old article is OK by him.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    I dislike the idea of never allowing the dog to make a mistake because it is through the mistakes that they learn.* I'm going to have to check out that book, too.* Buddy doesn't have any problems going to or from the pile.* When he decides to go for the right article, he always gets it.* Sometimes, in his mind, it's just too much trouble to find the right one.* Any old article is OK by him.
    That is why I liked the tie-down mat. In the beginning, she just went out and grabbed one and ran back for her reward....she would get corrected in a way. She would not be able to take that article...you could see her "Fine! I will use my nose!" and she did learn from that I believe.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

To me, if he never picks up the wrong one, the dog doesn't understand/learn why the one they bring you is the right one. They're smart enough to learn the difference between the right one and the wrong one.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Is it a video or a book?
    It is available in audio or book format only. * I used the book because it has pictures and I'm a visual learner. * *

Dawn also has a book called "Choose to Heel" for teaching heeling that is a very popular method.

The books are available from Dawn's website http://www.choosetoheel.com/id15.html and the Dog Wise website http://www.dogwise.com

In the beginning, she just went out and grabbed one and ran back for her reward....she would get corrected in a way.
    I've seen them bring the entire mat back with the wrong article too. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast