Question re recall (xposted to puppy training)

Thread: Question re recall (xposted to puppy training)

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion re recall (xposted to puppy training)

I've bitten the bullet (I don't know why teaching recall scares me so) and done the first ten of the 10,000 practices that Dweck says are necessary to teach a good recall. (Actually I've done more than that, counting the short ones in the house which are almost 100%.) Today I attached a 50 foot line and went out in the backyard. I threw the ball, he got it, if he came back immediately I had a party, and threw it again which is not any different than the normal game. But sometimes he wanted to make his victory lap or go check out the squirrel at which point I picked up the line and reeled him in. (having called him first) My question is: Do I reel him in to where I was when I first called him, or is it sufficient to reel him in to wherever I have to go to pick up the line?
    Side note: I also had his favorite treat (salami) as an additional reward for when he came to me, but he would have none of it. Just wanted the ball thrown. That didn't surprise me, but I thought I'd try.
    TIA

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question re recall (xposted to puppy training)

The goal is that the dog comes to where ever I am thus even if I have to reel them in, it is to me. That is the reward. Sometimes in the field I am moving when the dog comes back to me, so I want them back to me not to the point. Getting a good recall is one of the most challenging things in training! Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start, though!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Why are you throwing a ball for a recall? *He is confusing a retrieve with a recall. *They are 2 separate things, don't confuse them.

Put him on a sit/stay and walk to the end of the leash. *Call him and reel him in. *Do this at longer an longer distances.

If you are working on a retrieve, you keep along line on him, throw the ball and reel him in.

See...they are very different exercises.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I agree with Lydia, they are two different exercises, but I do them both because I want that good recall with a retrieve as well. Should be broken apart initially. Good point Lydia!!! I do a lot of play retrieving with my puppies and I encourage them in with the recall.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Lydia, too. Most any good Retriever worth his salt will come back to you when you throw the ball. You want him to come back to you when you are away from him and there's nothing endicing him to come to you except for the fact that you called him. Definitely work on the recall without the ball at least in the beginning.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Susan Garret has a good method for teaching the recall as does Leslie Neilson. You can download Susan's from her site:
    http://www.clickerdogs.com/perfectrecallaccount.htm
    http://www.clickerdogs.com/distracti...yourrecall.htm
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous