doing an agility seminar this weekend

Thread: doing an agility seminar this weekend

debjen is offline Senior Member

Defaultdoing an agility seminar this weekend

with Barb Davis..unfortunately only an auditing spot but still learning alot...today was alot about front crosses..it sure is fun to watch all the dogs work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: doing an agility seminar this weekend

I've audited at seminars before. I think I learn more that way because I'm not worried about my dog, what he's doing, where he is (if he's being crated during a demo or something), etc. I can also watch several different handlers and see how they work out their specific issues. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had my own dog with me.

Make sure you pass along any tips.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

I think today's biggest tip was to keep upbeat for your dog and don't let down..What we were noticing today that if things didn't go the way the handler wanted it to the handler would just stop walk away and lose contact with their dog..what she is suggesting is to continue and complete something anything even if it isn't the sequence without letting your dog know that you messed up ..reward and then go back and try and correct what went wrong..without giving the dog any reason to believe that they did wrong

another tip to help speed up dogs between obstacles especially if there is some distance between obstacles is to make happy noises ...woooohoooo or something similar ..also it helps to keep contact going between you and your dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Having been to more than a few seminars myself I like auditing as well.

I'm beginning to think front crosses are HIGHLY overused. There are so many times when a rear cross works just as well, if not better, and it takes the stress off your knees.

In my own classes, I have students doing front crosses for NO REASON. When I critique them and ask them why they did it, they have no reason except they "thought it should be there." Well, it looks like a pretty little pirouette, but it's wasted energy.

At our trial this past weekend almost every single person in Open Jumpers did two front crosses where rear crosses worked BETTER. I did the rear crosses Much easier. I just have to be SURE Ruger is committed to the jump before I go behind him or I totally mess him up (he hates me behind him).

BTW, when Ruger did drop a bar (on the 2nd to the last jump) unlike a LOT of people who were yelling things like "Oh" "NO!" etc... I yelled out, "Love Ya Anyway Ruger!!! Let's Go!!!" The judge commented on that

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    At our trial this past weekend almost every single person in Open Jumpers did two front crosses where rear crosses worked BETTER.* I did the rear crosses * Much easier.* I just have to be SURE Ruger is committed to the jump before I go behind him or I totally mess him up (he hates me behind him).
    May be that is why so many use the front crosses.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I use alot of front crosses because I'm often in front of my dog..LOL..he's a tad slow..he also doesn't do rear crosses well ..maybe because we don't practice them as much because it's so hard to be behind him..although we did work on some rear crosses on sunday and she showed how to plan some rear crosses so you will be behind your dog.