First night of obedience class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First night of obedience class

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst night of obedience class

Tugg is just a year old and last night was our first odedience class - I hope I didn't wait too long to start with training?* The class was huge, at least I thought so, so they are splitting us into two groups of 15.* * I have learned alot from all of the JL posters and hope that you can help me if we need suggestions. The instructors seem good, calm and well trained.* They are certified by various groups.* In the mean time wish us luck!

<br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First night of obedience class

It's never too late.

How many instructors are in the class? 1:15 is OK...a little large for a beginning class but it should be OK if they know what they are doing.

Make sure you ask questions. Don't be afraid to speak up. There are no stupid questions and 9 times out of 10, many of the other class members have the exact same question but are afraid to say anything.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think the class is way too big. I don't like to have more than six. I don't feel I can help everyone enough if there is more. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

You didn't start too late. Emilu was 2 when I started her in classes, although she knew her basic commands before that. You will have a great time. Even though the class is large, I bet not everybody will show up every time. Just remember to practice between classes - that's when the real learning takes place. And welcome to our little section of the forum!

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Gosh, Tugg is sure handsome!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Handsome baby!! ;D I have a ration of 2:6 or up to 2:10. That is what I prefer so the instructor can over see and if someone needs individual help the assistant is there. Have fun! I agree, there are no "stupid" questions cause everyone has had the same issue at some point, especially beginner's with their first dog they are training. And, it is never too late! Hey, one of my Labs was 12 1/2 when he got his CD!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thanks for the encouragement all - I too was concerned about the size of the class. When they split us into two groups I felt some better; truly couldn't figure out how they could help us when there were 29 dogs! The instructors both said they will stay after class to help us and that we can call them anytime. Tugg and I are practicing daily on the first assignments (look - getting him to look right at me and "motivational heeling" - where he stays on my left looking at me while I keep his attention). He knows sit, down, and will stay for a short time so that will be a help. He is such a lug and a love!
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I still can't get over--29 dogs!!! And I limit mine to 12 with 2 instructors on the floor and still feel that people don't get enough individual attention!!!!! :P
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

We go no higher than 15 per class. That's w/one main instructor, one asst, and at least two other hands-on-deck if needed.

Wish I could find a class that was smaller but living in a small town limits the access and then to make it worse I need a class during the day because I work swing shift!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast