Had a Great Time!

Thread: Had a Great Time!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultHad a Great Time!

I helped out at the agility trial Friday. Realized the only stuff I really knew about ability is from watching it on TV and the little bit that I did with Emilu 2 summers ago. I helped set up the courses, and then was a "bar-setter" during the trials. it was really fun to watch all the different dogs run the course. 2 people fell, and 2 dogs fell onto their faces coming off the teeter. Everyone was fine though and finished the course. Of course now I want to do agility too - it looks more fun than obedience I'm going to need several dogs!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Had a Great Time!

I'm going to do agility with my next dog. Since Buddy has elbow dysplasia, it's not the best thing to do with him. He would really love it, though.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I have done some agility with Caleb but when I would go to work him he would go into his x-pen and not come out!!! But he really likes the obedience! Now his littermate sister is an agility nut and I guess some say she has the potential of becoming a MACH. Depends on the dog and what they like. I do plan on getting at least one agility title on Caleb though.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Alot of my training friends do agility with their dogs ......... I will stick with field and obedience for now. I can only fit in 2 nights a week training since I work 2 evenings. Only so much time in the week!! Plus with Kona's knee, I don't want to jump him that much.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

Agility is both mine and Riley's favorite..Riley really didn't care much for obedience and tho we trained for open he only competed twice cuz he won't do out of sight sits and downs...However if I don't ruin him I think Robbie will be good in obedience and agility

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Agility is my favorite, hands down. I like obedience. And I think a dog really should go through obedience first before agility. It's EXTREMELY frustrating trying to teach agility to a dog that doesn't have a good stay or recall or won't stay with the handler!!! (I'm saying this from an instructor's point of view, and personal experience.)

Also, from an instructor's point of view, you can be so much more flexible and creative in teaching!!!

Always... my agility folks show up for classes and stick with it. NEVER have my obedience people stuck to it and most end up dropping class or coming when they feel like it which really doesn't bother me, it's their money they are wasting since I get paid up front Folks who have no perception of obedience just don't realize the amount of training that you need to do with your dog. They think in a couple of lessons their dog should be doing what my dogs can do. Heck, I've been training my dogs for four plus years and we STILL aren't there yet :P

patm is offline Senior Member

That's one reason I switched to obedience with Emilu - I realized pretty quickly that unless she could obey instructions, we were'n't going to get very far in agility. THEN I realized how long obedience was going to take I was also amazed that the hardest things for almost all the dogs was the "down box". Not just that they were all reved up and had a hard time laying down that long - many of them just wouldn't lay down at all. Their owners were doing all sorts of thing short of pleading with them (and some did that) to get those dogs to lay down, and they would just sit and look at their owners like they had NO idea what they were talking about.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'm really lucky. Murray loves anything and everything as long as he's with me. He gives 110% in every event.

I agree that obedience is very helpful for agility BUT obedience can also be a hinderance. For example, in obedience the dog is always taught to work on the left side. In agility, the dog needs to work off both sides. When we first started in agility, I can't tell you how many times Murray wiped me out because he was trying to cross in front of me to get to my left side. I ate more dirt than I care to remember. With Essy, I've decided to teach her to work off both sides from the beginning. Heel is left, close is right.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE