TDI

Thread: TDI

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultTDI

Maybe I am aiming for to much on this dog at once...but lastnight I was while training at Petsmart,(Training in the aisles is awesome!) I ran into a beautiful dog. He was a Cane Corso. I talked at lengths with his owner. He was a Therapy dog. I was very impressed by the giants manners. I went to the TDI website, and there is a few places I can get him TDI tested. He already has his CGC. Would it be behoove me to take a class for the TDI portion? I honestly don't think I need to.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Depends. Do you intend to do therapy work?

When we've done visitation locally (in Windsor, Ontario) no one asks for Ruby's credentials.

When I go stateside (Detroit) they require her to be TDI registered, and wear her ID card at all times.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Not sure what I will do with it as of this point. Just want to make him well rounded, if that makes any sense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I thought of TDI for Auggie, but was not willing to do all those "up to date" vaccinations on an older dog.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

"up to date"
    Maybe I have to read more into what it entails. I know just taking the test doesn't force me to use it for anything....Yet if I wanted to go further with it, like say reading in a school, or nursing home and such, is there more vaccines needed above what is already given?

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

No, not more than what is "already recommended" and that depends on what one's local/state protocols are. Some are yearly and some are every three years for the same vaccinations.

My personal opinion is "less is better"; not none is better, but less. And I did not want to subject my 9 yr old dog to vaccines for things that she already had immunity to. Strangely enough, most of the possibilities that dogs are vaccinated for do not effect/cannot be 'caught by' people; except for rabies.

In fact there is a Rabies Challenge project going on right now; their premise being that if a dog has been vaccinated for rabies and has had one rabies 'booster' that dog retains immunity/protection from rabies for its lifetime.

That is why I did not follow through with 'official' TDI protocol. We did visit two different relatives in nursing homes on several occasions; all were delighted to see and pet Auggie and no one inquired about her vaccination status.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb use to be TDI certified. They accept the three year vaccines and after that they will accept titers. I opted to not do the TDI anymore just because of the time. I just don't have the time to take him to the nursing home anymore.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

That makes sense, thanks for clairfying that. With 3 kids, and big dreams, not sure if I will have the time either. Yet trying to keep all my doors open.

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

My aussie is a therapy dog. She is certified through TDInc and a joint agency. She had to have an evaluation and training classes. These classes lasted four weeks and during each one the dog was evaluated. If there were any problems the dog and owner were asked to leave. Last evaluation was two hours long and consisted of many different stations. Visiting with kids, with lots of food on the floor. Can the dog pay attention to the kids and not eat the food. A hot dog corridor, which hot dogs were on the floor and with a loose lead the dog needed to pay attention to the handler and not take the hot dogs. Lots of others. Very stressful to the dog and handler. At the time I thought it may be overkill since the other organizations only required an evaluation. Now that we have been doing this a year, that training for me and for Panda was invaluable. I know how to handle my dog in this type of situation and what to look for when visiting patients. Panda does therapy work twice a week. At the hospital and for a hospice. She does require additional vaccines-Lepto. She also needs a fecal test yearly and has to be determined free of parasites. It is a very rewarding experience for both of us. She has grown in confidence and has learned many new things. I selfishly get to think that I am able to make a difference. We are both richer for it.