CGC Class last night

Thread: CGC Class last night

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultCGC Class last night

Well Mocha was pretty much a wound up yo-yo last night lol.... It rained all day yesterday so we didn't get to burn any energy off before class so she was ready to go when we got there. The instructor seems to know her stuff and is certified to give the CGC test and also with Delta to give the pet therapy test. Although Mocha does pretty well we definately have some work to do. There were only two of us at the beginning but a third showed up a little later. They still need one more or they won't continue the class (they have to have 4) but they said they thought they knew of someone else that might join us. If they don't the instructor mentioned that she would be willing to do it at her house if we wanted to work yet. She also teaches for a few other places and does some on her own. So far there is Mocha, Sopie (CF lab 1 y.o.) and Rugger (German Schepard 9 months).

Mocha was antsy last night so she wasn't sitting very well and wanted to sniff everything. Healing is her strong suit though so she did that very well and was fine with the distractions (dropping book on the floor), Walking through a crowd ( had several others w/dogs from another class come in and walk around us) she did good and stayed right with me not paying attention to them. Greeting she needs to work on as she's so excited and still has a tendency to jump but we've been working on this and she's getting better. Meeting a stranger w/dog and short greeting she did ok but after we passed she tried to go back to the dog. The seperation part didn't go real well though. We did it twice and she whined the entire 3 minutes both times. She dosn't get panicky just whines constantly. I'll have to try to find a person/place to practice this some. Sits and downs she has down pat.

The German Schepard is so laid back and just lounges around even when the owner left the room. He has trouble with healing and downs though. He has been in the Beginner & advanced classes with me though the owner is working on them. Sophie has only been through the beginner class and is still not solid on everything there but she did well with the seperation and is working on the other stuff.

So it looks like I need to:
    Find someone I can work on seperation with (I think my neighbor will do this with me)
    Work on passing someone w/ or w/o a dog and not paying attention to them. (this will be dificult but she's gotten better in the last few months so we'll keep working)
    I also need to try to get her out more to the park to the pet store or where ever I can to get her used to being around different people and places and sounds. I think it would be awesome to do pet therapy with her but she has a long way to go before she is ready to do that.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: CGC Class last night

That sounds about normal for a first class. I'm sure you guys will do well on the test.

Don't forget that in the CGC you can talk to your dog. When you heel away from the other dog or walk up to the person for the greeting tell Mocha to "watch me" or whatever. Do not let her break her attention from you. That means you cannot break your attention from her either.

For the separation part, practice makes perfect. Ask friends and neighbors to hold her while you disappear. I'd also have those people feed her treats and talk to her at first. It won't happen in the test but if she gets enough practice with "nice people who feed her" then she won't be so stressed for the actual test.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

How old is Mocha? I want to eventually get Buck to pass the CGC test...he is only 4 months old now so I am not expecting anything anytime very soon and of course he is very very very very curious and easily distracted at his age...we need to work on heeling big time!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Mocha is 22 months. There is a 9 month old German Shepard in our class as well he's so dang mellow it makes Mocha looke like a pogo stick....lol oh well there is also another chocolate lab they think is around a year old she's pretty calm compared to Mocha though. We have class again tonight they need one more person to sign up or they won't continue the class so hopefully they found someone else. If you want to do this the main things to work on is greeting strangers and not being frightful in a crowd and with loud sounds. Also they need to be calm when you leave the room (mocha's not very good with this one).
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol