Coat and pant biting >.<
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Coat and pant biting >.<

  1. #1
    SavvvyLu's Avatar
    SavvvyLu is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    33

    UnhappyCoat and pant biting >.<

    My lab Lucy is 8 months old tomorrow. Just before 6 months she has started to jump and bite my sleeves, pant legs and shoes, thus ending up biting my arms, legs and ankles. None of the usual stuff works for stopping her. She is bossy and very high energy. Once she latches she does not listen to any command and I can't pry her mouth open. I have to eventually put her lip under her bite for her to release. This is the only frustrating bad habit I can't break. I've tried "being a tree", "ignoring it" asking her to sit, leave it drop it, bribe with a treat. Nothing works. I especially hate the ignoring it advice, that must be for other breeds. I'm not into letting her chop on my limbs till she decides she's bored. I have to wear older clothes too because she has torn my coat and pants. I know this is so called normally lab puppy behaviour but when will it die off. Some days I keep calm and manage to get her off by turning away, but other days I'm struggling to unlatch her. It's embarrassing out in public. I've even tried carrying a rope toy which worked but she gets bored of toys after a few uses. She knows all her commands, is extremely smart so I'm confused why she keeps doing this. I can't wear sleeveless shirts because of bruises right now. I miss the hot weather because she can't latch onto Capri leggings and tank tops lololol Has anyone else dealt with this?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    SavvvyLu's Avatar
    SavvvyLu is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Nobody has feedback?

  4. #3
    jertom's Avatar
    jertom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Sorry no one has got back to you. this can be an unusual forum.
    As frustrating as it is, remember dogs don't do anything unless there's something in it for them..... maybe attention?
    I've always used "no bite" with Rocky, but he's not been this bad. Of course he does other crazy stuff.
    Get a bag of good treats (I use trail baloney, cut up cheese sticks, hot dog pieces, beef sticks, cooked chicken) in your pocket
    and give her some when she sits and stops the biting or whatever other command you choose.
    Let us know how it's going.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    SavvvyLu's Avatar
    SavvvyLu is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    It might be the attention because I have to get her off of me. She'll pull me right over or hurt me by accident if I don't. I've been trying to stop walking immediately if I catch her getting excited. Sometimes it works, other times I have to ride out the crazies. I've tried high value treats and that sometimes works. I'm hoping she grows out of this soon. She knows what no bite means but when she's hyped, it doesn't work. Thanks for your feedback. 😊

  7. #5
    jertom's Avatar
    jertom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    267

    Default

    how about a game of fetch to burn some of that energy up? perhaps if she gets interested in the toy/ball ?
    and/or she better learn what "no" means, though some say we should never use that word. I think those that say that never had a young Lab.
    hang in there.

    Quote Originally Posted by SavvvyLu View Post
    It might be the attention because I have to get her off of me. She'll pull me right over or hurt me by accident if I don't. I've been trying to stop walking immediately if I catch her getting excited. Sometimes it works, other times I have to ride out the crazies. I've tried high value treats and that sometimes works. I'm hoping she grows out of this soon. She knows what no bite means but when she's hyped, it doesn't work. Thanks for your feedback. 😊

  8. #6
    SavvvyLu's Avatar
    SavvvyLu is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Thanks! Yes we play fetch with her toys, I find if I play this before walks she s a bit better. I think she picks and chooses when she wants to behave lol The word no is in our constant vocabulary and she hates it! So I use leave it and am working on drop it commands to perfection.

  9. #7
    jertom's Avatar
    jertom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    267

    Default

    when you accomplish "leave it and drop it" come over and teach Rocky.
    Quote Originally Posted by SavvvyLu View Post
    Thanks! Yes we play fetch with her toys, I find if I play this before walks she s a bit better. I think she picks and chooses when she wants to behave lol The word no is in our constant vocabulary and she hates it! So I use leave it and am working on drop it commands to perfection.

  10. #8
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Sorry, but that the "ignore the bad, reward the good" doesn't seem to be working (it did nothing but to hold my dogs back as well so dont feel bad).

    Have you done any structured obedience classes yet? By structured,I mean balanced style (correction/ reward). My favorite trainers have mottos of "Say what you mean and Mean what you say".
    If you don't show your dog what you want/ expect, how could you expect it to know?

    I have 8 labs living w/ me (plus a new litter of 7 that are only 2 days old) and I've never had any acting like that. Even the 9 mo old already has her Rally Nov title and started into the ring at 6mos. But I have to say , I don't put up w/ bad behavior in my home from day 1. That's what crates are for, and that's what obed classes are for.

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  11. #9
    jertom's Avatar
    jertom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Sorry, but that the "ignore the bad, reward the good" doesn't seem to be working (it did nothing but to hold my dogs back as well so dont feel bad).

    Have you done any structured obedience classes yet? By structured,I mean balanced style (correction/ reward). My favorite trainers have mottos of "Say what you mean and Mean what you say".
    If you don't show your dog what you want/ expect, how could you expect it to know?

    I have 8 labs living w/ me (plus a new litter of 7 that are only 2 days old) and I've never had any acting like that. Even the 9 mo old already has her Rally Nov title and started into the ring at 6mos. But I have to say , I don't put up w/ bad behavior in my home from day 1. That's what crates are for, and that's what obed classes are for.
    "If you don't show your dog what you want/ expect, how could you expect it to know? "
    care to elaborate?

    I've always heard not to use crates for punishment.

  12. #10
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
    "If you don't show your dog what you want/ expect, how could you expect it to know? "
    care to elaborate?

    I've always heard not to use crates for punishment.
    Sorry for the delay (life is a bit busier here!). My reference to crating is to prevent bad behavior from occurring within and/or to the house, or knocking over the owner etc. When doggy is overly wound up, he is probably not going to be very trustworthy.

    This dog needs to learn some self control, and that comes w/ learning to settle down and behave / "chill out" in a crate. My world does not always revolve around my dogs (well right now it does w/ the puppies but they are only 5 days old) and thank GOD they learn that early on. My litter was only 1 day old when Ruby (just turned 10 mos) got to see them last Sat am. The box was surrounded by an expen, just in case she or the others got a little too excited, but she quickly understood where she could sit and view the puppies. Politely. Was she excited? SURE!!!! She'd never SEEN babies before. Within minutes we were all laying on the futon together watching football in the same room. That is self control and that was learned indirectly and directly in the obedience classes we took beginning at a very young age with her. She attended her first obedience workshop at 11 wks old and was already good/ quiet in a crate for hours. The crate to me is taught as a quiet/ safe place. Sometimes it's a time out place (not to be confused necessarily w/ punishment, rather a place for them to regain their composure) but it's always the first thing my puppies learn.

    Anyhow, my recommendation stands. Find a good balanced obedience instructor and sign up for some mentally challenging classes NOW. That dog needs more than a job. There is no rational excuse for a dog that is ripping clothing etc at 8 mos old.

    Best of luck, but the approach being used is obviously not working. Anne

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fur Coat Now....No Blowing of Coat
    By BlackLabJax in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
  2. Biting Pant legs?
    By kwanzanator in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 05:40 AM
  3. pant, pant, pant, pant, pant...RRRRRR!
    By Dani in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25