Another Obed. Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Obed. Question

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Obed. Question

You all have been helpful up to this point, so I have another question.

I worked my dog tonight at Petsmart. Weaving in and out of Isles. Practicing Healing, Sitting etc. I also Practiced with him Sits, and Downs. In Novice Obed, is it a DQ, when you have to do your 1min sit, and they lay down? For the life of me tonight, when ever I put him in a sit, he would lay down. Any ideas how to curb that, and if it is a DQ?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

yes, it's a dq if they lay down during the sit (or sit up during a down) - they must hold the position for the full one or three minutes.

As to how to fix it, make sure you build up to one minute.. start at 15 seconds, reward and release... once they are solid at that time, go up to 30 seconds, but sometimes release and reward him at 15 seconds... work up to one minute, varying the length of time.. once he's fine at one minute, start extending it - keep him guessing - is the exercise over at 30 seconds or 10 secs or 3 minutes? Who knows - better stay sitting1!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I had a feeling it was a DQ. Good idea on building up and to keep him guessing, will try that. I know he can do it, maybe I just overworked him tonight. For he kept thinking it was nap time

Thanks!

-Shannon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Definitely a dq, and fully agree with building it slowly. Start with two seconds and move up from there. If he lays down, put him back in a sit and say "sit", give him a second and then reward for sitting.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

What Kate and Nancy said.

Yes, it's an NQ.

Build time first, before distance. That way you know that your dog is physically capable to doing the 1 min/3 min before you try to build distance away from your dog.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Good advice so far. I don't know if you use a no-reward marker--mine is a short "uh!"--but if you know how he tends to look in that instant before he settles into the down-stay, watch for it, and then you can use the NRM to remind him not to do it. Obviously you can't do this in the ring, but in training if you accidentally go too fast and he starts to lie down, you can remind him before he hits the deck. Of course it's better to structure it so he doesn't make mistakes in the first place . . . and as Felicia says, take one variable at a time (duration, distance, distraction).

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Had another thought as well... after you've built up the time, make sure you mix up the amount of time that you do. For example, if you know that he can do a minute, don't ALWAYS do a minute. Do 30 seconds, do 10 seconds, do a minute. You know? So that he'll never really know when you put him in that stay how long it will be.

In Henry's Open class, it's a 3 min out of sight sit/stay and 3 min out of sight down/stay. Some weeks we do more time, some weeks we do less.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Start small in both distance and time and build both to more than you will need. If your dog can hold a sit stay for 3 minutes with you 60 feet away then a one minute sitstay in the ring with you 40 feet away will be easier and will have you more confident and relaxed. Also don't forget to train the stays with distractions. Some people at shows always seem to be dregging their crates and carts with squeeky wheels right past the obedience rings just as groups are happening. Winds that can blow paper and trash thru rings often happen in the afternoon when Novice is likely to be happening. Proof dogs moving around in the ring, will your dog stay if a dumbell lands 5 feet in front of it or if a dog retrieves that same dumbell? Will your dog stay if you trip and fall while walking away? will your dog stay if a child runs back and forth 5 feet behind it? Even if the child is screaming? How about if the table steward gets up and her metal folding chair falls over? Don't forget that you have to place your leash and armband behind your dog before the sits and downs and train it. Also it is good to practice in the rain if you get the chance. Obedience trials are not cancelled for rain and having a lab you should have no reason not to get a Q in the rain.
    Prepare for the unexpected and you will do great if only the normal stuff happens.

Kelly and Amber
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

All great suggestions, especially the distractions. Also proof when other dogs are down and your dog is sitting (so that if the dog next to yours goes down, yours does not think it is o.k. to do so also. Also with a dog that gets up and walks to it's owner.

Another way of working on the sit is to put your dogs front feet on tuna cans. That way it is really obvious (to you and the dog) that it is making a mistake, and exactly what that mistake is.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Everybody has given great suggestions for teaching the long sit. Now I have a dumb question- could your dog have been going into a down because he was sliding on the tile floor? Even tho Caleb has worked on tile floors on a regular basis, we still find it a challenge due to the slipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast