Uno is biting ...

Thread: Uno is biting ...

uno2014 is offline Junior Member

DefaultUno is biting ...

hello all,

my 2 month old male black lab..is having teething ...and is trying to eat everything it sees and biting our legs..
    how many more weeks this will continue and are there any solutions?
    thanks in advance..:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DuryLane is offline Member

The biting, mouthing, and nipping may be an ongoing issue that may need constant, repetitive correction until he gets more toward the adolescent stage.

To curb mouthing, I would do the following:

when your puppy tries to nip or mouth, I would have an appropriate toy ready. I tell the puppy "Ouch, no....bay boy" or "no, drop it" if he's got something he shouldn't have and offer him an approved replacement, such as a toy. When he takes the toy, tell him he is a good boy and praise him for choosing the toy.

If you make his corrections all about "No, no, no, you can't have or do that" without offering him an alternative to teach him what he can have, then it will take him much longer to learn. What we want to teach the puppy is "you can't do this, or you can't have this, but you can have this" --- and offer him a toy in place of what he can't have.

I have used this technique for years with various puppies that I've raised and it always seems to work out. Keep in mind, you will have to sound like a broken record and repeat yourself every time he mouths or takes something he isn't supposed to, but with consistency and repetition, and always letting him know what he can do or what he can have in its place, he will catch on.

A good, tasty, tempting toy/treat to give your puppy would be a large, raw meaty bone, one with a reasonable amount of meat still on it to keep you puppy occupied. I've used them with my dogs and it worked out so well that I never really had any chewing problems.

Patience, repetition, and remembering to praise when they have done good, to teach them what is o.k. and what we want them to do.

Thanks a lot for the tips...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Peewee87 is offline Junior Member

Hi, I've always found all puppies to be little nippers! You need to be firm (but kind) and consistent with your training. I did exactly what the person said above, I had hard wearing toys like kong toys and I would say 'ah ah' (rather than always shouting NO!) and put the toy in my labs mouth instead of him having my hand. As for leg biting etc always turn your back, don't give any positive attention, sometimes a high pitched squeal works as it shocks the pup and that's what it's litter mates would do is probably squeal if it hurt!
    If my pup got too much sometimes I would just tap my one finger on his nose (which many people would disagree with so don't feel you have to do) we have done this with three labs so far, not a hit, just one finger tap and a firm NO, or ah ah. Or I would try time out! If the pup keeps being naughty every time he nips pop him in the crate or shut in the kitchen for a few minutes.
    So no need to be too harsh but just have patience and be consistent, get everyone to do the same, and no rough play from anybody, don't set your pup up to fail and never ever allow any nipping. Stopping jumping up at an early age helps, we never let our labs jump up, they always had to sit for our attention, that maybe took their minds off biting?
    Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks a lot Peewee for the useful tips..will try them...

craveforeric is offline Junior Member

I guess it goes for all dogs. Puppies of different breed does the same thing and we do the same training.
    We correct their bad habits and praise them when they follow our instructions.
    They tend to forget what you have taught them so you have to be patient but firm when correcting pups
    eat..live..love

DonAnderson is offline Junior Member

Our pup does the same thing and we do exactly what is suggested with slow but sure and steady progress!