jumping/Excitment, help from experience owners?

Thread: jumping/Excitment, help from experience owners?

Manik is offline Junior Member

Defaultjumping/Excitment, help from experience owners?

Hello All,

I hope I'm in the correct section, pardon me if I'm not. I have my 5 month old black lab name Onyx. He is great, loving, playful fella. My biggest problem with him is his excitement. I never owned a dog, Onyx is my first and I have never dealt with anything like it. People have mentioned obedience training which I am considering once the holidays are over and I have a little more time, working like crazy currently. He is very obedient, for a 5 month old lab, he is half way house trained, comes by his name, sits, stays, all that. My only problem again is his excitement. Today I took him out for a walk, I sometimes run across other dog owners walking their dog and what really gets to me is they act as if my dog is going to EAT them and EAT their dog. Yes my dog starts wagging his tail and starts pulling to sniff or get a friendly pet from the owner or even the dog but in no way does Onyx ever show his teeth or bark or anything, Its pure excitement. Perhaps I'm taking it too personal but I do get offended by it and I often say to the other dog owner that Onyx is just excited to see someone besides myself and family. although I'm in the process of teaching him to sit and stay while the other dog passes by, he sometimes still gets excited and like everything it takes time. My question for all Lab owners, is this something that will eventually fade out as he gets older? Whats the best way to show him and teach him to be calm?

Also, the pulling. He is getting way better than what he used to be but he often pulls when he sniffs something or gets excited. I usually stop completely to show him he is not getting no where and then give him the go to start walking, any other tips?

After all here is a picture of my best friend!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

madisonsmom is offline Junior Member

He is still a baby, so while he will learn, you can expect him to "forget" his manners occasionally. Your job is to gently but firmly remind him of what is expected. Do you have anyone with a friendly dog that he can play with? A play date is a good reward.
    As far as the pulling, what I do is to turn and walk the opposite direction. You do not want to reward the pulling by allowing him to be successful.

Sky Ranch is offline Junior Member

Focus training is really good for ten minutes every day. The focus work will get your pup so that he is focused on you. When you first start it will only be for about a second every time but as you go along it will get longer. The way you start is place your pup to a sit position by taking a small bit of a treat (I use small of soft dog treats) in between your thumb and for finger at about waist level and lifting it to just above your head. Hold you treat there until your pup looks at it then give it to him. Continue this process for ten minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Ranch View Post
    Focus training is really good for ten minutes every day. The focus work will get your pup so that he is focused on you. When you first start it will only be for about a second every time but as you go along it will get longer. The way you start is place your pup to a sit position by taking a small bit of a treat (I use small of soft dog treats) in between your thumb and for finger at about waist level and lifting it to just above your head. Hold you treat there until your pup looks at it then give it to him. Continue this process for ten minutes.
    Focus training does work. My 10 week old already looks us right in the face when he sits. We worked with the "sit" command right away. Sit for his dinner, sit at the door to go out (not when he actually had to pee, but when going out just to play), sit when putting on his leash. And he looks right at us each time. Plus no treats now needed for the "sit" command.

Try what Sky Ranch suggested. Does work.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i'd get into a class as well, where he has to meet and greet, other dogs, appropriately.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Definitely get into a puppy class. Looking forward to getting pup into one when 16 weeks once all booster shots are given. I know some go before 16 weeks, but better safe than sorry I say.

KAZ

Brodie13 is offline Member

Would love an update on Onyx. I have a 16 month old chocolate - Brody. He is also very excitable. I would get him in as many obedience classes as you can afford. He will get socialized and you will get the instruction and advice you need to train him. The class will not make him obedient but the knowledge you gain on how to train him will!! I have learned so much. I adopted my first lab, Lexie from my son and she was a year and a half years old. Brody was 8 weeks old. Be consistent, kind and never, never give up!!! Onyx will be turn out just the way you want him to but it's all up to you. Like teaching a baby. Would love an update on her progress. Stay strong lol!!