My view of the final round of the NOI

Thread: My view of the final round of the NOI

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy view of the final round of the NOI

Here is my account of the final of the Obedience Invitational.

The final round was tough to watch (Holding breath the whole time) The Golden came into the Open ring and did a great job! Then Petra and Tyler came in and you could see that Tyler is just on the verge of bouncing around the ring! Petra is demanding every bit of self control out of this Big Black Field Lab (Jumps 26") For those of you that know top line field labs you know holding them back can be the hardest part.
    He does well on all the exercises till the Drop where he gives a couple of whines while waiting (He wants to GO!!) she calls and he comes with a BARK!. Oh No!! this is probably going to cost him the NOC!! Finishes the drop and BJ. Then the Golden goes into the Utility Ring and on the first Scent Article Brings back the wrong one! But the team recovers and does everything else perfect!! Tyler and Petra go into the Utility Ring and again you can see Tyler just ready to explode!! Petra Never takes her eyes off of him. She acknowledges all judges questions with a nod like she doesn't dare say anything that might set Tyler off! Tyler does the articles with absolute certainty! The Moving Stand we hold our breath as he moves a front foot! Tyler finishes the Utility Ring with the Directed Jumping Clearing the 26" effortlessly. There is no doubt Tyler could have gone right back into then ring and done the exercises another 10 times in a row without a problem Petra was Totally exhausted! and very relieved and very very HAPPY!!!!
    Tyler is very tough field dog that when he comes into a room he fills it with his energy! He isn't a dog that ever looks like he would have a meltdown in a ring. He was downed in between exercises to calm him down! and praise waited till after the ring was done. Not even a smile as praise while in the ring! Petra spoke in a soft neutral calm voice, not the high pitched voice we often hear of handlers trying to pump up their dogs. Tyler is a great dog and Petra is an even Better Handler!
    Bringing an Intact High drive male into a building Filled with bitches in season and winning the NOC (Again) is a really great acomplishment! !

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

LOL- I just read that last night on Top Dog's Yahoo list. Someone copy & pasted it from the Front & Finish list. I didn't connect the Kelly that wrote it with you. You brought tears to a lot of Top Dogger's eyes with your description!

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Tyler is a lab that looks like at any minute he is going to buzz the ring. I believve his parents are both FC/AFC's? (FIeld Champions) and he ran derby's and and a few qualifiers as a young dog and you can see that in his style. Petra is definately the trainer/handler/owner that he needs!!
    They are a great team together and I hope I described them well. I could see him having alot of training with an E-collar?

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber The Duck Dawg View Post
    Tyler is a lab that looks like at any minute he is going to buzz the ring. I believve his parents are both FC/AFC's? (FIeld Champions) and he ran derby's and and a few qualifiers as a young dog and you can see that in his style...
    I think you're right about Tyler's parents. I seem to recall hearing/reading that somewhere. I don't know what level/class/whatever, but I read in an article in the paper about Petra & Tyler that she originally competed in hunt tests with him.

...Petra is definately the trainer/handler/owner that he needs!! ...
    Yeah. She was telling me after class one day how she prefers dogs with a very high drive, which is why she has field bred Labs instead of bench.

...They are a great team together and I hope I described them well...
    I've only seen them practicing in the empty ring during class (missed the Crufts demo they did at a local dog show. ). But, even that is something to see.

...I could see him having alot of training with an E-collar?...Kelly
    That I don't know. Although, it's a probability since they were doing hunt tests.

You should see Tyler's son, Powell- he looks like a minature Tyler! They both remind me of my first Lab, Jethro.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

What a great description of Petra and Tyler. I have had the enjoyment of watching them at some of the shows I've been to ......... what a great team.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo