dog ran out of ring

Thread: dog ran out of ring

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Defaultdog ran out of ring

I had my first trial this weekend. I knew we might be a little sloppy but wanted to go ahead and try. Beginner Novice. Anyway, venue was in a horse center so dirt and lingering smell of horse, and some left over horse poop in the corners. But I thought dog was okay after 30 minutes. A few minutes before our turn pigeons suddenly flew out from rafters. Dog was very excited about birds.

We went in did excercises, not well but okay for first time and on the final recall he busted his butt to come but instead of stopping at me he went around then under the gates. He ran toward the directions of the pigeons.

Now my confidence is blown...do I go back to basics with dog and work on distractions? Or was it a poor venue for first trial? I have entered into another trial in two weeks but now I am not sure we should try.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Speaking from experience- don't give up! Definitely add some more distractions to your training, and work more on the recall with your dog on a long line or flexi. Also- work on "with me", and only let your dog "free" when you say so. Example- ever since he ran out of the ring at a trial last year, Caleb is only allowed to butt tuck around/play in the yard when I tell him "Go play". Until then, he has to stay with me (not necessarily in heel position, but next to me). That also means when we're getting into or out of the truck. It helped immensly at our last Rally trial- he headed out of the ring, stopped at the gate, and came back when I called him. If I hadn't had a brain fart and took his collare when he came back, we could have continued on and at least qualified.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup? How much training have you done so far? Have you proofed him in several locations on the recall?
    Maybe the location wasn't the best, but imo, a title is meaningless if done in a sterile environment. It actually sounds like the building I did my very first agility trial in years ago, and my girl got kudos for "multi-tasking" (flushing up the pigeons and running a clean run other than clearing the pause table on the way to the birds the first time!).
    Did your instructor think you were ready as a team to enter? So many enter the ring too early anymore, before that recall is rock solid/bomb proof. Handler nerves can also add to the equation. I'd wait on the next trial and go back to the long line as suggested above. Nothing worse than a dog that has figured out they can get away w/ that at a trial.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Don't give up, but maybe pass on the next trial. You certainly do not want your dog figuring out that going out of the ring can happen, but any other of a multitude of things that can go wrong.... For example, in Belle's first obedience trial, she ended up butt tucking for several minutes and I thought she was going to jump out of the ring!

Concentrate on improving your recall, and proof and proof and proof. Before I enter a wrong for the first time with a dog, I make sure she/he can recall

over toys
    Over food on the ground
    over food being tossed in their path
    Past a person
    Past a person trying to tempt with treats
    Past waving plastic bags
    Recall to me if I toss a toy/bumper beforehand

Same goes with all the obedience exercises. In Kodi's first trial, an errant dumbbell bounced into our ring as we were doing the figure 8, landing almost in our path. Kodi barely made a tight leash looking at it, but otherwise ignored it.

Good luck and keep training! I actually like proofing and coming up with ideas to test how solid we have trained

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks for the feedback. Dog is 2 1/2 years but I have not worked with him until recently. He does have his Canine Good Citizen and I thought Beginner Novice would be just a step above that. He does recall perfect at home and at training class but I haven't worked him anywhere else. I have thought more about it, and I think everyone agrees here, I need to do more proof work. I knew I was probably rushing the trial but I figured at worst he would be very sloppy on his heels (which he was). I didn't even think about him running through the fencing. haha...his nickname is brat boy so I guess he was just reminding me what I called him when he was little.

The next trial is at an indoor show held in a hotel. It should be less distracting. I only entered one day so maybe I just might go ahead and try again.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi there! I agree with the advice you have recieved. I would do some proofing. When you prepare to trial, it is recommended you "take your show on the road" before you trial. Practice all your skills outside at parks, next to a ballfield (during a practice session or game), at a petsmart wherever you can take your dog safely to work.

I know Anne mentioned that running out of the ring is not something you want your dog to learn he can do. It can be a stress response. (ooh, this place is stressing me out, I am outta here). It can also be very dangerous if he goes bounding up to the wrong dog.

Beginner Novice is more than just a step above CGC. In Obedience, you are looking for some level of precision that is not expected in CGC. In addition to leaving the ring, you said he did the excersizes but did not do them well. It really sounds to me like you are asking more of your dog than he is ready for. Personally, if it were me and my dog, I would skip the trial in 2 weeks, keep working and try again in a few months. I know you'll lose the entry fee you paid but I think you will be be better off in the long run if you wait to take him in the ring again until he is really ready.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    I know Anne mentioned that running out of the ring is not something you want your dog to learn he can do. It can be a stress response.
    Yes, this is what I am most worried about. I was entered two days this week but after the first day I decided to skip the next day because I didn't want him to think he could do that again. I am worried he might try again. Thanks for the advice...I have two weeks to work him, if I feel he isn't ready I will just skip the trial and move over to rally....I think that is all on leash right? I need to read the rules for that. My trainer told us to go ahead and try...said we all have to start somewhere, but I think I knew we weren't as ready as we should be. I don't know who said it above but yes, I was rushing to trial.

- Anonymous

patm is offline Senior Member

That said , I would never take my dogs to a trial in a ring like that. The premiums usually tell you what kind of ring you will have (matted, etc) Yes, in the perfect dog training world, we could all take our dogs everywhere and if trained well the would pay perfect attention to us and ignore everything else around them. But I have been showing odgs in obedience for 7 years now, and I find that even a nice, matted, fairly quiet venue can be quite challenging I also don't show them outdoors, becuase while I train mostly outdoors at home, our classes are indoors, and they just do much better in an indoor, matted setting, and we need all the help we can get. That said - it really sounds like you haven't trained enought in general for showing - have you tried Rally? On leash for the first title and you can talk to your dog. Baxter is almost 3 years old and I have been training him almost his whole life (not nearly as consistently as I should of course) and he is just getting ready to show.