How to begin in tracking

Thread: How to begin in tracking

serenitydad is offline Member

DefaultHow to begin in tracking

Hi all,
    I have never been to a tracking trial, but I've read about it and it interests me. If you we're like me, a long time lab owner (25 years) who is just getting a new puppy soon, where would you begin? Don't be afraid to firehose me with information. I can take it!
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi there! Congratulations on the new puppy!

I have had some occasional interest in tracking and, as luck would have, picked out an acquaintance at an agility trial to ask about it. Well, it wasn't random, she had the word "tracking" embroidered on the back of her chair. It turned out she is a tracking judge and very passionate about tracking.

She told me about the Buckeye Tracking Club (linked below). If you click the link called "Training", you will find a page loaded with articles written by this judge about tracking training.

Buckeye Tracking Club - Home Page

She also recommended the book "Tracking Dog - Theory and Methods" written by Glen R Johnson

You might want to try to find a tracking test and go watch and chat with some people. According to the Buckeye Tracking Club site there will be a test on April 14 in Middlefield. That's a bit of a haul for you. You could also look on Home Page, InfoDog -* The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information* AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services to see if any tests are scheduled in the near future closer to you.

The thing about tracking is, they can only test a few dogs each time. It is hard to get in a tracking test. Before you can enter you have to be certified to test by a tracking judge. I guess since they can only test 3 or 4 dogs they don't want to waste a spot on a dog that can't possible pass. They are only taking 4 dogs to test at that test in Middlefield.

Good Luck!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

serenitydad is offline Member

Thanks! Puppy comes home tomorrow - I'll check this out and bookmark the page. It may be a few days before he's ready!
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson