Measurement for AKC agility
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measurement for AKC agility

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

QuestionMeasurement for AKC agility

I need some advice.

We did a CPE agility trial on Halloween weekend and Miles measured 21 1/2". The judge made a concerted effort to make sure the measuring device was buried in his fur at his withers so as not to measure fur. I liked that. It didn't make much difference for CPE, he was right in the middle of the 20" jump height. (For CPE dogs measuring 20-24" jump 20).

In AKC, dogs measuring 18"-22" jump 20 and dogs over 22" jump 24. While we aren't quite ready for an AKC trial, I am not sure what to do. I would really hate to enter a trial, get there and have the judge measure differently and rule him over 22" and expect us to move up to 24". I could enter him in Preferred, but I wouldn't have to if he measures 22" or less. I'd rather run him in Regular. I don't think they allow us to switch from Regular to Preferred or vice versa on day of show.

My instructor suggested I take him to the IX Center this weekend to get him measured, but I am not entered in Obedience, Rally or confirmation (or anything) so I am afraid we won't get in.

I am completely confused as to what to do . My dog is very powerful and has alot of drive, but he is an English lab with alot of bone and I don't think it would be fair to try to run him 24" in agility. If he measures over, I would be fine putting him in Preferred. If he measures 22" or less, I'd rather run Regular.

Any suggestions?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    My dog is very powerful and has alot of drive, but he is an English lab with alot of bone and I don't think it would be fair to try to run him 24" in agility. If he measures over, I would be fine putting him in Preferred. If he measures 22" or less, I'd rather run Regular.
    I was in exactly the same boat with my two boys. Bono is a BIG boy (by performance lab standards...specialty labs, not so much) and there's NO way I'd jump him repeatedly higher than he is tall! I say, pick your VMOs (the ones who volunteer) carefully and have your permanent height card (two measurements) in hand before you actually enter your first trial. As far as cleveland, do you know anyone entered? If so, go in and ask to borrow their confirmation letter/entry pass, then go back out and get your dog. I've brought extra dogs into the building, along side entered ones, and was never questioned. You can practice getting him to relax on the table, put him in a solid stand stay and take a couple steps back...this should settle his head/neck down. That being said, if you've gotten a measurement of 21.5, you should be fine. VMOs don't want to make your dog jump higher than they have to and will do everything they can to give you a good, while still legal, measurement. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Nicole. I wouldn't know one VMO from another.

I guess not all trials have an official "measurer"? The IX Center may be a pain. I hate the idea of "sneaking in" so I was thinking of taking him to Cleveland All Breed's trial to be measured at the end of January. Then I was told they may not have an "official" measuring judge. This is complicated!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

You can email the trial secretary and they should be able to tell you if there will be a VMO on the grounds.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

One bit of advice is to get your dog to the show grounds early and wear him out. as an under 2 year old dog Amber measured over 22" I measured her early at a show she was hyped at (22.5" actual measurement.) and she ran at 24" till I forgot my temporary card (Yellow Slip) at a show and had her remeasured. She measured 22" even so I got to get her remeasured (Challenge) and was told to wear her out before her permenant measurement. Picked a show with a dog park next door and we went and retrieved for about 6 hours on a warm summer day and then had the measurements done (21.75")
    Her final measurement was (22") and her height card (Official after 2 years of age) says 21.88".

Oh make sure to introduce your dog to the VMO/Rep before you measure

Hope this helps and thinking short thoughts for you!

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

I definitely won't be going to the IX Center this weekend to try to get measured. I have to work and my dog has been cooped up for 2 days now because of weather so it would not likely be a "short" day for him! I will keep my eyes open. If I can get him to a Sunday trial and get in a good long run with him the day before and some retrieving the morning of, he should be tired enough to not be too pumped up (I hope!)

If he measures over 22, I will have to run him in Preferred because I will not run him 24". I think it is just too much to expect of him the way he is built.

Thanks so much for all of your advice!

Ann & Miles

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Ann,

Have you tried to have him jump at 24"? How does he do? Is it a struggle for him or does it come easily? From your videos I remember him having a lovely jumping style and did not have any problem clearing the jumps. My Maddie is 22.5 at the shoulder and we jump 24". She is going to be 7 and has done well in the class. I will not however jump her at 26" for USDAA. She struggles at that height and I think all the added effort would strain her physically. You can begin in regular akc and then switch to preferred if find the jump height is too high. I know that whatever you decide will be right for Miles. He is a great dog

Smile

Aww, thanks! So nice to hear that.

No, I have never tried 24. He does jump 22 for obedience with ease. He only knocks a bar if he is careless or distracted. I just don't know how he'd do with 20 obstacles at that height. I do concentrate on keeping him fit and his weight in check. I may try some higher jumps to see what happens.

I only worry because he such a big, stocky dog, but maybe I am coddling him a bit. My husband and breeder both think 24 shouldn't be a problem for him.

Getting to a show just to measure him will be a pain. I take him to so many dog events that when we don't have one, I like to stay home with my family. Plus, I worry the people working these shows are busy enough with exhibitors, they probably don't appreceiate having people come just to be measured.

Ann & Miles

I just sent an email to the secretary for the end of month trial at Cleveland All Breed. Hopefully, I can get a first measurement there.

Ann & Miles

Cleveland All Breed will not have a VMO for any of their upcoming trials. Bummer!

Ann & Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast