Newby...need simple explanation about rules
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby...need simple explanation about rules

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNewby...need simple explanation about rules

So, can someone explain divisions and if I can show my dog in any state or am I limited to my division? Also, how does one earn a title? I understand there is a point system but how does that correlate to dogs entered and such. ThanX.

I am entering Rally in the spring but also I thought maybe I might do a conformation. I want to start with some small local shows, and I started to wonder if I could get a rally or ob. title by going to only local club sponsered shows.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

I know nothing about confirmation so I can't help you there.

In Rally and Obedience, you must get three qualifying scores in each level to get the title. For example, Rally has three levels: Novice, Advanced and Excellent. A perfect score is 100 points. To qualify, you must get a score of at least 70. Once you have three qualifying runs, your dogs earns the Rally Novice (RN) title. Same thing for Rally Advanced (RA), and Rally Excellent (RE). Each competitor starts their run with 100 points and points are deducted based on peformance errors. In Rally Novice, -1 for tight leash is a common deduction. -1 for crooked sits and -3 for extra cues are common too.

Obedience works in a similar fashion but the points possible are 200 and a minimum of 170 is needed. Three qualifying scores in novice are needed for the CD, three in Open for the CDX, and three in utility for the UD. Points are deducted in a similar fashion.

I would check the rule book for more specifics on scoring and deductions.

Good luck and have fun!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I forgot to mention, each leg does need to be with a different judge. You can certainly title by only going to local or club sponsored trials but you can't title with all legs under the same judge. Rally may have been relaxed a little to only need two different judges rather than three, but I know that all three cannot be the same judge.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? You can also go to events at AKC and search for shows in rally, obedience or conformation by state
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

A Confirmation Championship (usually refered to as just a Champion (Ch.) is attained by getting 15 points. You get points by being judged the best dog or bitch (that does not yet have a championship) at an allbreed(all breed shows allow all breeds to compete but you will only compete against other labs for confirmation points) show or Specialty(Labs only). The points you get varries from 0-5 depending on how many labs you beat and what region you are in. all points you get count no matter what region they are from. Some regions require that you beat alot less dogs to get points (Hawaii requires a very small number of dogs) the number of dogs per point is determined by the number of entries in all the shows in that region the previous year and some formula AKC uses.
    The only other requirement for a Ch. is that at least 6 of the 15 points must be from "Majors", shows where you win at least 3-5 points.
    The other championships you can get with a lab are:
    FC(Field Championship) obtained by winning Retrieving field trials(Hunting)
    AFC(Amatuer Field Championship) only open to amatuer owners/handlers
    OTCh (Obedience Trial Championship)
    MACh (Master Agility Championship)
    CT (Champion Tracker)
    VCCh (Verssitile Companion Champion)requires that you get an OTCh,MACh,and CT (Only 2 so far in the entire history of AKC)

There are a bunch of titles that you can get in each of the different venues Hunting, obedience, agility,tracking,rally and versitile companion titles. All AKC champioships go before the dogs name and all AKC titles go after the dogs name.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Winning at local match's does not get you any points clubs often have match's to give experience and practice to those entered. there are different levels of match's some that have more relaxed rules than a show or trial and some that run exactly as a show or trial runs but they do not count toward any titles or Championships.

One other thing I forgot to mention is there are also Certificates available to Labs CGC Canine Good Citizen (temperment test)offered by AKC
    WC working certificate (Hunting) offered by the Lab Club of America Inc. (Parent Club)
    WCX Working Certificate Excellent(hunting) local lab and retriever clubs
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

So I understand the basic concept...when one says they are finding the Major do they stay in their division or is it okay to go outside their division. I am in Utah. Division 13, I think.

I am trying to understand why so many were upset when divisions were changed and then I didn't see a breeder this year after the change that I see every year. Also, I love to travel and it would be fun to show in other states but can I earn titles outside my division or are these lost points?

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

nicole is offline Senior Member

You can travel all you want, just make sure you know the point schedule in that region http://www.akc.org/events/conformati...t_schedule.cfm. If you're new to showing, I'd recommend finding handling classes and/or local matches to get your feet wet. Join your local all-breed club and they'll be able to point you towards both.

It's CONFORMATION, not confirmation... they're being judged as to how well they conform to the standard

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    It's CONFORMATION, not confirmation... they're being judged as to how well they conform to the standard
    DOH...well grammar has never been a strong point...lol

Thanks for all the replies...I feel like I understand a little better now.

- Anonymous

Felix is offline Senior Member

The most simple rule that complies to all dogs: "What's alloud NOW! .. Is allowed ALWAYS!" .. And for the rest .. You make up the rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast