My Marley dog..Please help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Marley dog..Please help

Capron09 is offline Junior Member

AngryMy Marley dog..Please help

Okay everyone! I am so fed up and I really need some advice. I have a 15 month old male Choc lab mix (probably) and a 2 yr old female shih tzu. The lab came first. Then the shih tzu came in July while she was in heat! We just got our lab Hunter fixed about two months ago. Lady the shih tzu was fixed in July after her heat. My Hunter is my Marley dog. He is wild, nuts, maniacle, out of control, stubborn unruley dog. I love that dog so dang much but he tears through my house like a greyhound at a track. He has tons of toys and steals all the kids toys. They can not leave a single thing on the floor. Yet, he doesn't chew shoes, whew! But he Chews the shih tzu 24/7. He is gentle but it is constant all day long dog on dog play and I can not take it anymore! Now shih tzu's love stuffies so lady has some and Hunter has some but he will not leave hers alone or the kids. When you try to take anything away from him he plays the chase game and refuses to drop it or let it go till you pin him into a corner and then he will. Did I mention that I have a half acre for this animal to run? We also have a remote trainer that we wear the hell out of daily. When Hunter gets into a mode we call it zombified. He is fixated on that thing and will stop at nothing to get it or do it whatever it is. He has started counter surfing and taking things off my end tables, etc. He is on a good diet. meaning he doesn't eat garbage bag dog food and he is still on puppy food till about 2. We play with him but he really doesn't want much to do with us. he rather play with Lady and steal her toys and drag her around like a little rag doll. I really am in immediate need of some serious training help with him. I think a lot of it is his jealousy. But I fear he may kill my shih tzu being too rough one day on accident. She holds her own believe me! I cannot afford professional training and I have never had a puppy take this long to snap out of all this bad behavior while trying to work with it. We apparently are doing something wrong not him. I have tried to sit down and talk calmly to him, tried to praise him as much as possible when he is doing good, redirecting bad behavior with the right toys/actions, etc.... Please help...he is getting worse every minute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Capron09 is offline Junior Member

Oh I forgot to mention that I know he LOVES lady because after a real rough and tough play session he and her will lay there and he will hold his arm out over her. lol My husband however gets peed on daily. As soon as he sees my husband coming towards him or if my husband tries to correct him he will start peeing (submissive urination) This is a brand new one so now my husband can't even handle him.

bett is offline Senior Member

was the lab trained before the shih tzu entered the picture?
    it sounds to me, that he isnt terribly trained and needs some, fast.

and i realize that you have land for the dog to run around, but most dogs dont really exercise themselves.

can you start at square one, without the shih, and train him as if her were a pup (and oh yeah, he doesnt need puppy food anymore, and that has just about zero to do with him counter surfing).
    i think you need to puppy proof the house , for starters. get everything off the counters until you have the time, and use either the penny can or some other made up invention (mouse traps, mats with the little nubs that arent fun to land on, etc).
    most dogs dont really know the difference between toys-like if it's his or a kids. a toy is a toy. and almost anything can become a toy.
    if you chase him, when he has some contraband, he will continue to run, because he loves that game.

i bet if you threw a frisbee or tennis ball, after a while, he's gonna get the idea and the game will not only be fun, but tiring (for you too, sadly)

do you have crates? i ask because sometimes one of them, if not both, needs to be away from the other. this may help protect the little one , as well.

they dont just "snap out of all this bad behavior". it wont happen like that. lots of work. lots of patience. lots of positive rewarding, verbal praise, treats. you'd be amazed how well they can respond to all of that stuff.
    it's not gonna happen overnight. but it can happen.
    good luck.and keep us posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

How much exercise and what type is your lab getting daily? As mentionned above, a big yard does not mean a dog is getting exercise. A young lab needs an hour or more of playing a day. Play dates are great too.

Once they are getting plenty of physical exercise, they need mental stimulation (they are working dogs). Training, walks in new places, games, etc.

Then, many need to learn how to settle. Learn to just chill. Train to "go to their spot" and chill.

You can use various things like stuffed kongs, antlers, etc to keep him busy.

Train him! Don't let him rule the house. Keep him on leash if you have to (tether him to you).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

The peeing with your husband is because he is afraid/intimidated by him. It's a sign of submission. Your hubby is going to need to build a bond with the dog.

He sounds like a typical young lab that hasn't has much training. There is no quick fix, you ned to start with the basics. Training training training (then the other stuff i mentionned above)

Chase is many dogs favorite game - you are encouraging him by playing the game.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-29-2012 at 11:04 AM.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I have a 15mos. old black lab and an 11 yo Shih Tzu. The play can look horrific but nobody gets hurt. I've noticed that when the Shit Tzu gets serious, Gabe will back off. I have to admit though that when the Shih Tzu gets dragged around by the tail, I am both concerned and amused. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting hurt in play but certainly breathers by crating one or both might be in order....as with the training as mentioned above.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

When you say that you have a remote trainer that you "wear the hell out of daily" do you mean a traditional ecollar, that you control? The ecollar is a very powerful tool, and if you are using it that much, you are using it incorrectly.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 12-29-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    When you say that you have a remote trainer that you "wear the hell out of daily" do you mean a traditional ecollar, that you control? The ecollar is a very powerful tool, and if you are using it that much, you are using it incorrectly.
    i missed this. completely agree
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

In addition to all of the above, he is too old to be on puppy food. I don't think it's affecting his behavior per se, but he is quite old enough to be on adult or all life stages food. Most breeders recommend transitioning off of puppy food by 5 months old.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

did capron come back to see any responses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast