aggressive on comand?

Thread: aggressive on comand?

joseph.l.dantonio is offline Junior Member

Defaultaggressive on comand?

i dont really know where to post this,. to start we got our lab at 8 weeks from craigslist person told me his chocolat was aggressive towards him, he is i was told a lab mixed with a golden retriever, he is 1 year old and has no triaits of a golden retriever, he has some redish hair on his rear end a curved tail and he loves the water swimming and has webbed feet. he is very smart. he knows sit, stay lay down, leave it, paw, double paw. he is mostly friendly as heck, but i have only had exp training german shephards, im wondering if this type of training has made him too visious,. ie": he growls at people, his hair comes up and he barks at anyone that comes near our property, near me my parents or my wife. he has excepted our new puppy(husky). but when we walk him he gets very bothered by passing dogs and people unless i tell him its ok their ok. is this a usual trait in labs? i have never had one before him. i have only had german shephards and an akita.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Well bred Labradors - even cross bred dogs have no aggression inbred !

joseph.l.dantonio is offline Junior Member

like i said i got him off craigslist for free

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I think that breed can have a bit to do with aggression, but overwhelmingly the manners of the dog is based on training.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

not normal for the labrador breed but you got a mix off craig's list so you knew you were not getting a well bred lab (which includes appropriate temperment).

I have known some nasty labs.

sounds like you need to work on training and socialization. nature and nurture both play a big part in a dog. the temperment of his parents play a big part so if the dad really was aggressive that doesn't help. but it also depends how much you socialized him as a puppy (to people and dogs).
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-11-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The aggressive chocolate - was that dog related to this one you have or are you saying that the chocolate was aggressive towards the puppy? Not clear from your post.

A sweet and tolerant temperament is the hallmark of a well bred Lab. They are really never used for Schutzhund or bite work - not that kind of dog. Aggressiveness in a Lab is a big fault - but - due to their excessive popularity and the fact that many morons breed to make a quick buck without concern for quality - you do get some very poorly tempered Labs. You would do best to get a trainer to evaluate his behavior before you have a bite to deal with.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.