Help - something is wrong with dumbell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - something is wrong with dumbell

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp - something is wrong with dumbell

Emilu has always done well with retrieving her dumbell. It's one of the things that I kinda take for granted - that she will go get her dumbell and come back with it. Tonight we were practicing, and when I threw her dumbell she ran out to get it, carried it about 3 feet, dropped it and came on back in. I was so surprised, I told her to go get it again, she went out, picked it up and dropped it again. So I thought that maybe it had landed in some dog poop in the yard or something (it was dark out). So I just went and got her other dumbell -same thing happened. I tried to get her to just hold it - she would take it and almost immediately drop it. I didn't force the issue, but I know that something must be wrong. I checked her mouth as best I could with a dog who hates to have her mouth checked and whose tongue literally fills her whole mouth, then I tried to just check her teeth for sensitivity, but didn't really get anywhere with that. And to think that I had a vet appt for her tomorrow that I just cancelled today - maybe I can take her in when I pick up the kitties tomorrow. What do you all think might be wrong? I really don't think she is just refusing - and I don't want to force her unless I know everything else is OK.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would have guessed teeth, but you already checked.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I might guess teeth also, did you try to get her to pick up the dumbell in your house?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Last evening, after she had laid in her bed a little while, there was a huge stain of drool on her bed, so I figured it was something in her mouth. She seems fine this am, eating normally etc, but the dumbells are outside, so haven't tried them again. I'm going to try to get a vet appt for this afternoon.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Any chance when she went out for the dumbbell originally that something stuck her in the mouth. This sounds exactly like what happened to Buddy when he stuck the stick down his throat. I like in his mouth, too, and couldn't see anything. The biggest symptom he had was nonstop drooling. I would definitely get it checked out. Prays coming that it is nothing.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I was able to make a vet appt for her this afternoon when I pick up the kitties. Of course when we went out to "potty" she fetched her dumbell just fine - wouldn't you know it - I'll still take her of course, but I bet they won't find anything!

we're back from the vet - he didn't find anything wrong, and I had a feeling that he wouldn't - I have know idea what was going on with her yesterday. I also had her urine checked and her thyroid levels checked (in the never ending quest for weight loss) Urine was great, and thyroid will probably be normal too - I guess this is all GOOD NEWS , so I'm happy

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Glad he couldn't find anything. It's still possible that part of the dumbbell jabbed her in the mouth. It may have just smarted for a little while. Hope it doesn't come back.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Pat sometimes they just decide they don't want to do what we have asked. They do have a mind of their own, that is for sure! Since the teeth have been eliminated, you must come up with some sort of correction. I teach a correction that is initially fun but can be used as a correction if needed. There always has to be some type of back up. Remember, correction is not always ear pinch, etc. But, she does have to know she does not have an option when you send her for the bell she must get it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I really don't think she was refusing "just because". She was fine the next day with it - no problem. It was also the fact that she went out like normal, got it, came back a few feet then dropped it, and came on in, then would take it from me but drop it quickly. If she starts to do it again, I'll correct her, but I didn't want to the first night because I really thought something was wrong and didn't want to force her to hold it if she was in pain. But I'll be more prepared the next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast