Someone made me a little pissy this morning

Thread: Someone made me a little pissy this morning

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomeone made me a little pissy this morning

I arrived at the show at 8:20, it was a good distance from parking to the obedience rings. I have to haul all my gear and then I bring the dogs, one at a time. When I walk my dogs at a show I let them be dogs, they don't have to heel, they can use the entire leash to walk along with me (in case they need to potty etc.)

Anyway, a fellow club member came up to me after I had gotten all my dogs situated in their crates, and she basically told me that in Utility the dog really looks to the handler to be the leader, she noticed as I was bringing Ruger over to the rings (from the car) that he was pulling and not paying attention, etc. etc. She told me that I can't allow this if I'm ever going to be successful. I need to "be the leader" all the time, etc. etc.

Ruger is my boy that literally explodes with joy when he see's other people. And people ALWAYS are saying things to him or coming toward him, which causes his excitement and joy to swell. I always warn people (as they approach him with outstretched arms, etc... ) that he WILL jump up at them. He's always been a jumper (enthusiastic greeter). As a rule, I don't allow him to willy nilly jump on people, but some people don't give it a rest and Ruger will jump up to say hello.

Apparently now I am supposed to have him focused on me the entire time we are at a show, squash his joy in seeing/greeting other people, and obviously take a lot of fun away from our day.

Give me a freakin break! I told her that he was a labrador, and what she was suggesting just wasn't going to happen. She replied that indeed, she was a border collie person. Geez Louise!!

Anyway, it just made my entire day pissy. Granted I was running on very little sleep as well... but honestly, I know my dog and the way we walk to our crates at a trial does NOT have bearing on our performance in the ring. I know my dog.

Well, I'm just venting because this really has stuck in my craw today.

And as I was driving home I wondered what sage advice she would have given Susan (Caleb's mom) if she had witnessed Caleb on his hind legs hugging and kissing the judge in the ring And that thought, at least, made my day brighter.

There's one in every crowd...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

vent away

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post

Anyway, a fellow club member came up to me after I had gotten all my dogs situated in their crates, and she basically told me that in Utility the dog really looks to the handler to be the leader, she noticed as I was bringing Ruger over to the rings (from the car) that he was pulling and not paying attention, etc. etc. She told me that I can't allow this if I'm ever going to be successful. I need to "be the leader" all the time, etc. etc.

And as I was driving home I wondered what sage advice she would have given Susan (Caleb's mom) if she had witnessed Caleb on his hind legs hugging and kissing the judge in the ring And that thought, at least, made my day brighter.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a log!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know some of the Golden people around here who have the top ranked Goldens drag them all over the place! Even in the ring to get their placements! But they heel well (she has two). Most of the Golden people who have OTCH's have dogs with terrible manners.

You should have seen the looks when I walked into a run thru with both boys and Micah wanting to visit ever soul he saw!

People always have advise. It is amazing.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Gotta love unsolicited advice from the "dominance" folk.

I think at dog events there's at least 10 in every crowd, some are just more vocal than others.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Well, I learned my lesson. From now on if someone comes up to me and says, "Would you like a little unsolicted advise?" I'm just going to smile sweetly and say, "No thank you."