a look back at 2011....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a look back at 2011....

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Defaulta look back at 2011....

Hello all! I am just "coming down" from 4 days of fun at the Cleveland Crown Classic at the IX Center in Cleveland last weekend. It probably isn't the greatest venue but it is a fun show, has a very festive atmosphere, and one of the few shows that has agility, obedience, rally, and conformation so we get to see friends we don't get to see as often. Miles got to see his first human mom. He saw her before I did and boy did he pull. You can't tell me dogs don't remember. He was so excited to greet her.

We had a great weekend, qualifying in 6 out of 9 runs. We got a new title, our OF, one more double Q bringing our tally to 9 and 47 more points bringing that total to 266. I can't say enough about what a great team mate I have in Miles. This was an exhausting venue with the lights, noise, and hard/slippery floors. He ran his 9th run with the same enthusiasm as his first , smiling all the way around.

Here is are a couple of the runs I was most proud of.

AKC Excellent JWW 12/15/2011 - YouTube

Miles AKC Excellent Standard 12/17/2011 - YouTube

I spent some time over at the breed ring. My dog is a breed dog and at one time, his breeder and I considered showing but one of his testicles failed to arrive so we scrapped that idea. He can do agility becuase I keep him fit and lean. In considering my next puppy, I considered another breed dog because Miles is everything I ever wanted and more. At this shwo, I saw that the breed dogs (at least in this area) have gotten even bigger boned, bigger chested and shorter legged than even Miles. I had, actually, considered getting a littermate ofa puppy a close friend recently acquired bred from a sire who has the same lines as Miles. I met that puppy's sire at the show and found that he ENORMOUS! Beautiful and sweet, but God love him, he's a charmer, and I looked at him and knew that that dog, if fit and lean would try his heart out to get around a jumpers course and leave up all the bars, but doubted he could no matter what. His paws made Miles' paws look like quarters. He's a champion and siring pups all over the country now. Also, very important was hearing the chatter outsidte lab ring. I heard some comments like "I see alot of dogs out there with too much leg and not enough bone." This was good info for me. I don't have the "need for speed" that some of my agility friends have, but when I search out my next puppy, I want a lab that can do obedience, agility and possibly hunt tests.

Enough about that, as the year comes to a close, I am reflecting on all the me and my amazing team mate have accomplished this year. It was a big year. In April, he earned his AX and AXJ. One week later, he earned his UD, our proudest accomplishment! After laying low over the summer, he earned his MX and MXJ in November. Miles has exceeded my expectations in every respect, an amazing team mate and I am truly blessed to have him.

What's up for 2012?

• We will continue to chase the MACH. We are almost halfway there. God willing the MACH will come some time in 2012.
      • Maybe, just maybe, we will get out in the field and try for a JH leg or two. That would be frosting on the cake, I guess. I found when we tried last summer that field training is so much more time consuming. You never go train for an hour and come home. Last year, I had to scrap it due to lameness caused by his food. (a gout response) Although, my dog LOVES IT!!
      • Finally, I am on the search for our next puppy and hope to start training a new puppy this summer. :-)

I wish you all happy holidays and a wonderful new year!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Way to go Miles and Ann!

My major accomplishment for the year was to get a show bred puppy that does not seem to have any serious health defects. I did actually take "Teagan" to an AKC conformation show this fall, it was a little strange to have one of the tallest bitches there when she is only about 21 1/3 at the withers, and golly does she have leg by comparison.

"Carrie", the black, got her CGC award, but I can't take any credit for it because she could have done it without me there at all, she makes up for having a wonky heart by being unusually and eerily smart, she didn't even have to practice, I just told her what would be on the test!

If I can convince Teagan that show rings are for trotting and not for bouncing up and down like a pogo stick, we are going to try that somemore. Next year we will also hopefully go for some or all of beginner novice, rally novice, junior hunt test, and tracking.

CarrieCGC2.jpg Teagandummy.jpg

There are some show bred labs with longer legs and moderate builds, but you will not often find them entered in breed ring because they are too busy in hunt tests, agility, obedience... The heavier bodies and shorter legs in show labs are the least of the problems compared to things like TVD. Which appears to be on the rise because some major show-winning, and thus popularly used, lines also seem to carry TVD. Don't know how far you are willing to travel for a working show line puppy but I will put in a plug for Teagan's breeder, Rhumbline Retrievers. And, on this forum, WindyCanyon Labradors.
    Last edited by ThreeTs; 12-23-2011 at 05:37 PM.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Some awesome accomplishments that I can only aspire to.
    And I so agree with you about the big boned, big chested labs. Remington is one of them. He does not have the drive to be a true competitor, I'm okay with it, but it was a major influence in my decision to get Ferrari (Border Collie). I want a dog that can do obedience and agility and have that desire to work. Already he's showing me that he has focus and attitude for it, so 2012 looks promising.

2011 saw Remington earn his Beginner Novice title and the first leg of his CD... something I never expected from him. We also earned a Novice Jumpers AKC leg, but his agility days are over. I've pulled him from further shows as the stress is too much for him... it's a battle we've been dealing with for four years and now his stress has become my stress. In the end, it's not worth it. He can do agility at home and at run thrus and enjoy it (and he does). But no more trials for us.

Here's looking forward to a brighter 2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh thanks!

Three T's, sounds like you have alot planned. I look forward to hearing all about it next year!

Congrats Linda on Remington's accomplishments. I remember all the videos you posted of Remington doing his tunnel routine. The bottom line is, we have our dogs for fun, and if his stress is stressing you out, it isn't fun for either of you. Ferrari is showing alot of promise!

Here's to a great 2012!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great year for you! On a side note, If the folks in the breed rings think the labs lately don't have enough bone and have too much leg -- good grief what is happening to the Labrador breed??? Hopefully they won't go as far as oversized Corgis before people finally figure out something's wrong. Anyway...

For me, my main focus is my Aussie, Lijah; 2012 will hopefully have us in the Utility ring all year, should finish the UD and start working on a UDX. Then I've got a couple young dogs here- my folks have a YLF out of show and field lines; sounds like they'd like me to work on her CD and JH this coming summer. I also have a pup here or maybe two that'll be getting started on basics and we'll see how far that goes. Might make it into Novice obedience there as well but probably not hunt tests. I refuse to run a dog that's not FF'd and the hunt test season may be over by the time the pack is ready to trial. Ah well, have to save something for 2013, right?
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

You have a busy year planned! Good luck with Utility. We had fun with that. I just chose not to go further because it was hard to keep Miles motivated in obedience. This, or course, could have been caused by my training or handling. We did alot of rally and, wanting Q's, I talked alot in the ring making obedience really different for him. I must say, it was hard to keep him motivated in rally too. He worked nicely in rally and obedience for me, but it just didn't seem to rock his world. Actually, I think he liked utility. Novice and Open obedience, not so much. Maybe, with my next pup, I will figure this out and we will go a bit farther.

Motivation has not been a problem with agility or field. I just havent' done hunt test training because it is so time consuming!

I look forward to hearing about all your adventures!

Ann & Miles

brody is offline Senior Member

2011 was a good year for us... dogs did minimal trialling but did it well - regionals (both qualified for Nationals); Nationals (neither embarrassed me and Brody brought home some very pretty ribbons) added Thea to 2 of our total of 5 trials ... and again had a blast!

a short compilation vid of our last trial is in this post Agility Addict: Compilation Video ...

a whole dog year in review is here Agility Addict: 2011 In Review ...

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Well, I'm late to this party too but have an excuse... actually 11 of them.

2011 was a decent year for us. I finished 3 CDXs, 1 CD, 2 JHs and a few Rally titles. 2012 will be concentrated on Roxy (13mos) and Tango (21 mos) as both will be doing Obed and JH this coming year... I've also started on Utility work w/ Envy and Kiku. And who knows, may even be doing SH work w/ ENvy and Sonya. And AX/AXJ w/ Mata.... Story of my life lately is too many dogs, too little time.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

That's okay, Anne, with all you have going on.....Looks like you have had a busy year and another one planned!

Ann & Miles

Aerodogs is offline Member

Congrats everyone on your accomplishments, and it sounds like everyone has a busy year planned ahead.

2011 was a great year for us and I'm hoping to be equally productive in 2012. Ryder and Hailey both earned their UKC SHR titles. It was Hailey's last hunt test since the land training aggravates her HD and rather bittersweet leaving the line for the last time with her by my side. Jordyn and Ryder debuted in agility (one day AKC and three days CPE). Jordyn earned her CPE games and standard titles and Ryder earned one Q in each (we're still working on speed WITH control, lol). Ryder earned his AKC RA title and his first RE leg for which he earned first in the class. We decided to give Novice Obedience a whirl and he went 3/3 with a first place followed by two second class placements to finish his AKC CD title. The judge said she didn't think she would be handing the blue (ribbon) to a young lab (other dogs were Goldens and an OES). He's not that young (2 yrs in Nov) but I was very pleased with his maturity in the ring, particularly the outdoor show where we debuted.

This year we will continue our quest for higher level hunt test, agility and obedience titles. I wasn't sure I would continue in Obedience (since hunt and agility are our primary focus), but now that we are working on Open exercises we're having more fun. This year we've already attended a L. Mecklenberg seminar and will be attending a Jenn Crank seminar next weekend, followed by a Mike Lardy seminar in March. All of which are working spots, so I feel we are getting some great guidance in the sports we enjoy. I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress in the various venues.

SHR UUJ Nog's Knightly Trek to Hollywood JH CD RA CGC ThD - Delta Cert. "Ryder"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast