Obedience seminars

Thread: Obedience seminars

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience seminars

It looks like I may have the opportunity (ie, time and location is compatible with my schedule) to attend a 2-day seminar and/or private lesson(s) with an obedience trainer who has trained/handled over a dozen OTCH dogs and at least one NOC. I'm looking for opinions... my pup is 2 and he's competing in Open. I'd like a UD and more with him - I think the seminar is a good idea, I just don't know if *now* I'd be getting the most out of it, or whether I ought to wait another year or two, or...? What do y'all think? TIA.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'd go for it. You may not have this chance in a year or two. Betsy gave everyone a spiral bound notebook & pen at the seminar at Top Dog so people could take notes. Also, a couple of people videoed bits and pieces of the seminar.

patm is offline Senior Member

I say go now also - first, you might not be able to attend "in a few years" and second, hopefully you will learn all kinds of things that you can apply to train your dog now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and emailed to say I'll be there. It'll be at the end of spring break... have to be back for class on Monday, but I don't see any reason the seminar won't fit into my schedule.

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Can you say where/when/who ? Just thought maybe it is something I'd be interested in. The good thing about going to it now is to save yourself from having to retrain your dog later after making a bunch of mistakes you didn't know you were making, know what I mean?

Ran across something this weekend you might be interested in, a DVD rental service like netflix, but with only dog training DVDs, called bowwowflix. Name is cheesy but it sure has a lot of DVDs.

I think I can say who... Dee Dee Anderson... don't think I can say where/when as the original email said not to until they knew how many of the people that were invited were actually coming. (Maybe email her if you're interested in a future seminar and see if she'll be in your area.)

I'll check out bowwowflix, definitely sounds interesting! I'd sure like to be in Utility next year and I'm thinking we'll need some outside advice to get there. Heard a local trainer say recently that it takes 3-4 years to train a Utility Dog, I hope not! I don't think it takes everyone that long and I sure don't want to wait that many years!

Claire DVM
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    I think I can say who... Dee Dee Anderson... don't think I can say where/when as the original email said not to until they knew how many of the people that were invited were actually coming. (Maybe email her if you're interested in a future seminar and see if she'll be in your area.)

I'll check out bowwowflix, definitely sounds interesting! I'd sure like to be in Utility next year and I'm thinking we'll need some outside advice to get there. Heard a local trainer say recently that it takes 3-4 years to train a Utility Dog, I hope not! I don't think it takes everyone that long and I sure don't want to wait that many years!
    Are you going to brag for yourselves this weekend? I didn't see how it ended up today as I was attempting to get Tango's head screwed on better, lol. Must have worked... I had a much better girl today!

I say do as many seminars as you can since I almost always walk away w/ something from all of them. Only one (that I can think of) was a huge disappointment.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Anne, how do you get the head screwed on straight? I always end up with crossed threads...

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTs View Post
    Anne, how do you get the head screwed on straight? I always end up with crossed threads...
    Oh THAT'S our problem!!!??? lol

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. Go for it. If your dog is 2, now is the time to gather the tools. You can be working on utility skills while working on your CDX. Good luck!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1