Drat!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drat!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDrat!

We have been getting geared up for the fall trial season (agility) and really feeling ready. Our first fall trial was to start today. I took Miles out Tuesday to do some water retrieves and he caught his middle toes on his left paw on something and hyper extended them. That foot was so painful Wednesday and yesterday. Got it x-rays just in case. Nothing broken or anything serious. We just have to sit on the sidelines and let it heal. Vet gave him a shot of Metecam and he is on vetrofin and periodic icing until it gets better. He seems much better today. He was really sad and pitiful on Wednesday. Poor baby!

Lots of other trials coming up this fall, though. My boy just has no sense of self preservation when it comes to bumpers and water!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

How very frustrating!!! Fortunately, Miles does not care, about actual competition!

It is hard to keep a good Labbie down, but there are many more opportunities ahead of the two of you. Good healing thoughts headed your way!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks Karen!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Poor Miles - glad he seems better today!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Oh ouch... try MSM also. REally good for connective tissue stuff.......

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MSM, I have glucomsomine with MSM. Is that the same thing or do I need to get MSM separately?

He's a little better each day, he still babies it though. Yesterday he was pestering me to go somewhere, anywhere. Stood and pointed at the tailgate of my Jeep when I went to took him outside. He's being a good patient though.

Ann & Miles

debjen is offline Senior Member

Hope he is feeling better..

brody is offline Senior Member

DRAT indeed - fast healing Miles ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    MSM, I have glucomsomine with MSM. Is that the same thing or do I need to get MSM separately?

He's a little better each day, he still babies it though. Yesterday he was pestering me to go somewhere, anywhere. Stood and pointed at the tailgate of my Jeep when I went to took him outside. He's being a good patient though.
    If you have a feed store nearby, I'd buy the straight MSM to supplement that with. He probably needs at least 2000mg / day at the moment.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks, I will look for that.

I started leash walking him yesterday and he's doing much better. I take Miles to a vet that specializes in rehabing injuries and she recommends leash walking during a rehab if not too painful rather than total rest. A friend of mine does canine massage and reiki and she did some energy work on his paw gentle massage and some peppermint oil. I watched his demeaner go from "what cha gonna do with my foot?" to "Ahh, I feel so much better". I never put too much stock in that kind of stuff but boy, he has felt better ever since. She explained that at this point it is important to improve the circulation in his feet to promote healing and toes are an area that can have poor blood flow. She agreed that the walking will help. Although, had her advice been contrary to the vet's advice I would stick with what my vet said. :-) Anyway, I was feeling a little discouraged yesterday morning because I hadn't seen much improvement since Friday but by last night he was hardly favoring the foot at all. So I am pleased about that. Now we just wait a few weeks to ensure complete recovery.

Sigh, it is hard to be patient. My agility instructor is going to let me come to class and use her dog. That will keep me occupied. Really, Miles doesn't forget his job, I am the one who gets rusty. The thing for him to bring him back when he's healed is reconditioning.

Ann & Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast