I'm getting bored with AKC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting bored with AKC

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm getting bored with AKC

Since there are other venues available, and they are actually a lot more fun (more games, more placings, more ribbons, etc.) I'm really getting tired of AKC shows. It seems that AKC has become a show of "elite" teams. It's top heavy in the Excellent levels. Hardly anyone is in Novice or Open in our area. And there is very little for the "non" type of agility dogs to do. If you don't run a BC, Aussie or Sheltie, you might as well forget it.

I think it's great that so many teams are so dedicated and out there every weekend showing, but to me it's almost become a "Pro" sport, leaving those of us who only trial a few weekends a year out in the dust.

With the price of entry fees increasing, gas prices going back up, and the economy zapping all my resources, I'm honestly thinking of showing at the more fun trials with my dogs.

Ruger will never make Excellent time. He's older, the courses are longer and faster and he's slower. But I can take him to USDAA or CPE and still have a lot of fun with him.

Remington will one day be able to Q at AKC, maybe when he's 5 years old and more mature, in the mean time I'm really wasting time and money going.

Anyone else feel that way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

*raised hand*

I rarely show Zeke because he is a hooligan, but when I do it is never AKC. 1) Qing is a crapshoot and it's just as waste of a ton of money. I can run NADAC with more runs for the same price. 2) AKC people can be really serious sometimes and Zeke's antics are not really appreciated. He runs wild sometimes and we get whistled off the course "get your dog." If I COULD get him we wouldn't have been whistled off in the first place!
    Last edited by ZRL; 11-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Glad to know it's not just me. It's not sour-grapes on my part either. I've enjoy showing in the AKC shows, but recently it's not fun.

I find the other venues are actually more supportive of your dogs as well. More encouragement and camaraderie too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Exactly. NADAC people give me tips on keeping his attention for our next run so he doesn't go wild. AKC competitors are more likely to give me disapproving frowns and ask how often we train. There are nice people who compete in AKC though, so don't get me wrong there. The atmosphere is different between venues though.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Most agility people around here show in AKC as well as all the other venues. In obedience I show AKC and UKC--love UKC.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

To me, the object of "this game" is to have fun with my dog. That means, I am having fun, he is having fun. When it becomes not fun and too stressful, then I have to go find something else fun to do.

It sounds like you and probably your dogs enjoy the other venues much more than AKC so why spend money to go do something that isn't fun for you?

As with any organization, it isn't the AKC that is bad, it is some of the people in it. To me, the AKC has a purpose and its primary purpose is to maintain the breed standards. We need an organization out there to do that. I, too, notice that AKC trials are way more stressful, formal, etc than other venues. It will be a long time before I enter an AKC Open obedience again because I want to be more confident before we do. Last time I did that, I know my dog probably thought we were marching to the guillotine because I was so nervous. I don't want to ever put him through that again. This is even though we can do level 3 C-WAGS obedience that requires far more challenging excersizes than AKC Open. It is the atmosphere. Things have gotten very competitive. Of course, titles that require one to beat a certain number of dogs fosters that.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, if this is a hobby and a hobby is supposed to be fun, don't do what isn't fun anymore. Just go have fun!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    ...And there is very little for the "non" type of agility dogs to do. If you don't run a BC, Aussie or Sheltie, you might as well forget it...
    I don't compete in agility, but this is the exact reason I don't watch televised agility events. Seems like no matter what size division, it's dominated by BCs, Aussies or Shelties.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I think you have to watch who is judging for sure at AKC events. If I can only go one day, I get online to try to figure out if they are a big dog vs a small dog judge. I do NOT like the small dog judges' courses more often than not. Too twisty/turny... it's a negative to me especially w/ my back issues to have too many front crosses esp.

I entered at trial last Sat and LOVED the Std course judge! He had fast courses that flowed as they are "supposed" to... even in Excellent. Mata didn't Q, but we are so close! She had that look on her face (devilish) when approaching the A frame and I yelled WHOA! when she hit the top as I knew she was not in the contact "frame of mind" by then. At the same time I caught the judge w/ a big ole smile on his face... he knew what was on her mind too! She made all her contacts, did good in the weaves, but knocked a bar and was called for getting too close to the tunnel (my fault). I heard several chuckles from the gallery because it was obvious she was having a good time. To me, that was a great run because we all had fun. I found out the judge has Goldens btw. The dog I really wanted to finish in NA didn't run til nearly 4pm (after wed' been up at 4am to get on the road) and knocked a bar, but it too was a VERY NICE course. I'd love to see that judge hired at our own trials so put in a good word. That's how we keep the sport in check... make your preferences to your clubs be known. Anne

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It is all about you and your dog and how much fun you have.WHo gives a crap about whether it is AKC, UKC NADAC or whatever. So long as you and you dog are having fun, more power to you! THAT is the only important thing. Hats off to you for competing and putting forth all the effort (and money) that it takes to do agilty (or whatever sport) with your dog! ompeting in different registries only heightens the delight!

As far as AKC's "snobbiness", I can certainly understand that also. While I do not do agility at this point, I think no matter what the type of venue, AKC (and each 'registry') has it's own 'flavor' that's why different 'registries' were developed. AKC certainly has an elitiist flavor, whether it is conformation, obedience, field trial, hunt test or agility.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Katie is offline Junior Member

DefaultIm getting bored with AKC

Will entry fees be lowered at AKC trials? Personally I love having 3-5 runs a day at a USDAA trial, but I get all those runs for about the same price as two per day in AKC.

We also dont go to many trials that offer FAST and AKC trials with only the two classes are just about as long as a USDAA trial with so many more runs, so I cant imagine how having 4 runs at an AKC trial will work.

Im interested to see how it plays out, but weve run 4 FAST courses since it was introduced so Im not sure how many opportunities well have to run the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast