C-Wags Rally

Thread: C-Wags Rally

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

TalkingC-Wags Rally

Sunday we did C-WAGs rally. We already have our starter and advanced titles so we got to the show site a little later to avoid so much waiting around, although rally moves much faster than obedience.

I decided to take Miles to meet his labrador friends at the park in the morning. I don't usually do to that on a trial day but I felt so bad about him being cooped up all day on Saturday, I did it. The weather was gorgeous here too.
    I think he needed it too, when we got there, he shot out of my car like a cannon ball!

Anyway, it didn't seem to hurt. We needed on leg for Zoom Rally level 1. Zoom rally is rally without sits and downs. He started off a little sleepy but woke up partway through. We got a 95 and earned the CW-ZR1 title. Zoom 2 was fun. It finished with a tunnel. The big challenge was tunnel avoidance until it was time! We managed! We got a 98 and first place.

We ended the day with ARF. ARF stands for Agility/Rally/Freestyle. The judge chose not to include a freestyle component (whew! ) but it was quite challenging. There was a tunnel set 3 feet after the start, and a "sit leave your dog" 2 feet in front of the tunnel. We had to go to the other end of the tunnel, call front>finish right>180 degree pivot left . Wow! How do you take one step toward a tunnel that is 3 feet away and sit? Some couldn't do it, but we managed. Then we had a side switch and had to have the dog working on our right for awhile and we came to a sequence that was table>jump>jump (like a serpentine jump). The first jump was toward that dang tunnel that sucked most of the dogs in. Judge didn't deduct for that if the dog wrapped right back over the second jump which mine did, thankfully. After all that, they have to settle back down to rally, do a side switch back to the left and then do a moving down. At that point, I think Miles thought I had completely lost my mind. "Table jump tunnel jump and now you want me lie down???" He did after multiple cues then we finished with a recall over a jump. Despite all the little problems, we qualified (with a 79) and that won the A class. Quite honestly, it was so much fun for me and my dog I wouldn't have cared if we had NQ'd. ARF is alot of fun for the dogs and the handlers. We were all giggling walking the course.

Anyway, it was a great day and I am still exhausted!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to mention one thing that was a real treat for me.

A friend of mine that trials with us is in a wheelchair and her yellow lab, Laurel, is her service dog. They did ARF also. They came in second place. They might have beat us but you lose 4 points if you drop something in the ring. Usually that something is food that could be an unfair distraction for the dog after you.

My friend was in the middle of the course and dropped a sandwich bag. I watched her dog, switch gears in a split second and go into service dog mode. She picked that bag right up and gave it to her handler and went right back to rally. While it was a shame that they lost 4 points for the dropped bag, it was a treat for me to see Laurel do her real job so beautifully. I told her that too .

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

debjen is offline Senior Member

congrats sounds like a fun day

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a really fun time. I've never heard of this type of show before.

C-WAGS is a fairly new venue and it started in Michigan. It is working it's way into Ohio and trying to spread.

As there are alternative venues for agility and rally, there wasn't, that I know of, for obedience. However, they decided to have obedience and rally and fun game classes. Now they are working on adding agility. Any dog can register so mixed breeds are welcome. I have seen some really good working mixed breeds and rescues! They really focus on keeping things positive and happy for dogs and handlers. I am seeing people that haven't been in a ring in many, many years because they can't stand the stress going back in the ring there and enjoying it (still nervous, but happy). I am also seeing dog and handler teams that do AKC go there to get more ring exerience to build confidence. I really like C-WAGs.

Ann & Miles