Keeping the kid/not keeping the kid

Thread: Keeping the kid/not keeping the kid

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

DefaultKeeping the kid/not keeping the kid

So I have a very interested family looking for an older puppy, and since I am on the fence about Virginia structurally (her brother is far superior), and a friend of mine keeps nagging me about her not being enough for the show ring, I was actually considering placing her in a great pet home. I live in a city that allows just 3 dogs, and while I love her to bits and can't imagine a life without her, I actually toyed with the idea.

Then we went to class on Thursday. I had a long wait before my class, because I have to cross the border, I never know if I am going to be late or early. So I put Gin in her crate, and carried on a conversation with another girl. Pro #1 - I can't do this with Ruby at all. She must be at my side all the time.

The class prior to mine was a Novice Rally class, for kicks, we ran through (with me not having seen the map....yikes!) and Gin did better than the dogs who had actually been taking the class for 8 weeks. Pro #2 - she's a very focussed and obviously happy worker. Our instructor says 'That girl's got style'.

Last night I packed up her crate and put it in the basement. She doesn't need it and I rarely use it for Rhys (when he's horrible) so down it went and I got my space back. Pro #3 - 7 months and no more crate!

We went to visit a friend after work last night, and Ginny ran right over and jumped into the pond, her first water experience, and she loved it! Pro #4, Gin is honestly fearless.

Woke up early this morning to bring Rhys to his appointment at the vet, and since Ruby was doing a sleepover for my nephew's birthday, I decided to bring Gin along for the ride. There was a 3 year old boy in the waiting room who was crying and Gin went over and sat with him, then he grabbed her lead and took her for a walk down the corridor. Pro #5 -Ginny is an angel. She doesn't pull, she doesn't jump.

After Rhys' appt he always gets a McDonald's ice cream, Gin got one too, and I decided that there just might be more to my Ginny Monster than her looks. She's going to hang out here for a bit. She looks more and more beautiful to me as she grows lankier and lankier, cause she's my Ginny Monster, and I know it would possibly kill me to do what should come naturally to a 'breeder'.

This morning when I got home, I had a message on my machine from the owner of my puppies' father. That he had passed away, and that she hopes that my girl, the one with 'his eyes' is doing well for me. Of course she is!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

If you decide not to keep her - I'll take her.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Happy tears here, what a great girl you have there- thanks for sharing Gins pros!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Oh Melissa do I hear you. Micah is not really coming together as I wanted for the breed ring. Some, including Dana and others who have bred to Marty tell me to give him until he's three. But you know what. I don't care. I am seeing soooooooooo much that I like in him as an obedience dog. A lot of the same thing--fearless. Such attention. Drive. Wants to be with me but does not have to be with me the way Caleb does. I will never consider giving him up. He's here to stay. And I don't care if he turns out for the breed ring.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    If you decide not to keep her - I'll take her.
    She'd love it too Pat, this girl, unlike my others, LOVES to be outside, would be outside all day if I let her. She'd love running with Emilu and Skippy, she's a sweetie.

Con #1 Ginny just dug in the 3 gallon water bucket and dumped it all over the floor!!!
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

patm is offline Senior Member

What is her pedigree? I was so jealous just reading what you had written about her. I have Skippy, who is so glued by my side that I can't even take him to a show because he won't let me leave him for even a minute, and won't stay in a crate away from me, and wants to go home 5 minutes after we're somewhere, and then there's Emilu who while smart and loves to train, is such a quirky thing that I never know how she's going to react - especially around other dogs ( although she loves all labs and just wants to play). I was thinking - "how nice to have a dog that you don't have to worry about so much" I was just wondering what lines she is from. It's hard to want a conformation dog AND an obedience dog because it's not easy to get a good conformation dog, and people who show have to be able to let a dog go that isn't going to make it in the show ring, but I think that obedience peeps just can't give up a dog once they have raised and trained it.

Ginny's pedigree is a bit old and a bit new. Dad is linebred on a b!tch Fabracken Cider with Rosie, who is a Comedy Star littermate. Her pedigree is here...she's from my first litter

www.lastcalllabs.com/virginia

She's a joy to me. Full of grunts and groans and wonderfulness!
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 03-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    It's hard to want a conformation dog AND an obedience dog because it's not easy to get a good conformation dog, and people who show have to be able to let a dog go that isn't going to make it in the show ring, but I think that obedience peeps just can't give up a dog once they have raised and trained it.
    You are right. I think if Gin spent the whole day in a pack of other dogs, she'd be easier to give up. But I KNOW her. I know everything about her. She prefers to sleep on her left side. She likes to eat with her bowl elevated. She scratches the floor near the fridge when she wants me to fill her water up. She hides her squeaky cow under the recliner and jumps on the chair and thinks its the funniest thing in the world. She likes to eat her bone in her crate.

But I DO think there are breeders out there who are willing to part with a nice one. I'd look for smaller scale breeders, and be honest with what you are looking for.
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola