Toughest obed trials ever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughest obed trials ever?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultToughest obed trials ever?

I think we experienced the toughest obed trials yesterday. I had 2 of the 10 Open A dogs (which meant both girls would need to be in the same group exercises-- so an additional handler was needed) and 1 in Rally Nov B. Ends up our rings were running concurrently. Can you say, Crazy???

And picture this... it's at a German Shep Club specialty and they double handle from outside the ring to get the dogs moving out and ears up. I knew that, but usually they clap, ring bells or things like that. This group blew DUCK CALLS and WHISTLES!!! Egads. How I wanted to go over and ask them WTH they thought they were doing w/ obed going on nearby.. but I didn't. Some dog show people are just too ignorant for words when it comes to understanding the rest of us.

Anyhow, it ended up my 3 dogs were ALL in the rings w/in a 30 min period. First I had to squeeze in a quick Rally Nov walk thru, then back to Sonya for Open A, who I suspected was fading midway thru and sure enough, walked the Broad jump. Then back over to Rally to arrange to run Tango a few dogs early--- she was still in the van! Then back to Open A, stuffed Tango (who did only so-so w/ all the distractions in Rally imo) into Kiku's crate and pulled Kiku out for a quick warm up. Back over to Rally to see that we actually had scored a 96 (far better than we deserved!), so that was good for 3rd place and title though I knew I wouldn't make it over for ribbons... time to go into the ring w/ Kiku. Who did great other than a couple minor things on fronts/finishes mainly. Right on time, my extra handler showed up, so I tossed an armband at her (ooops, it was the wrong one though, lol!) and got Sonya out and intro'd quickly. Sonya pouted that mom wasnt handling her though... and we went in for Groups. Both girls passed that, though Sonya was a terd for Sarah on the Down. But Kiku Q'd!!! Her 2nd in just 3 attempts! Back ringside again, waiting for scores, Tango's ribbons were delivered to me by another exhibitor (by then anyone in the area knew how crazy my morning was), and then the word was that there was a Runoff. Great...... I suspected we were due since I'd not had one since 1997! The Newf was called first. Then us.... the heeling pattern was a long one, and we had a crooked sit on the initial halt, but in the end, we won the runoff! It was for 4th place.

So, despite idiots w/ duckcalls and whistles, LOTS of scent issues, and a very crazy tight schedule, 2 of the 3 did decently. We packed up and went to the hunt test grounds and watched some of SH and MH run and just kicked back the rest of the afternoon. That was nice! And today, I'm just plain kicking back. It's raining... glad I wasn't entered over there today since it's coming down in buckets I'm sure!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Wow that was a busy morning.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Wow, talk about a crazy schedule! That double handling they do with GSDs really gets me. When I first heard about it, I thought they were only allowed to do it at Specialties. That was OK with me. But now I'm hearing about it at all breed shows. That's not right- if the GSD people are allowed to double handle to get a better performance, so should other breeds. I'm assuming it's up to the breed clubs to get the changes made, tho.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'll have to ask a judge friend who is licensed for GSDs if all breed shows allow it. If so, I'd want to make darned sure that the obed rings are FAR away. The only reason I didn't say anything was that they had opened the obed and rally to all breeds and they had good judges... but I doubt I'll be in any hurry to enter that again! Good thing I didn't have Envy there... and good thing my pup owners w/ her sister didn't make it in. They'd have been nuts.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Crazy day..I've had agility trials like that where I run 4 runs in two rings in under 30 minutes. Glad you all did so well.

brody is offline Senior Member

that's one wild half hour glad it worked out mostly
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

patm is offline Senior Member

Wow- I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle that. Was it an AKC show? I didn't think any double handling was allowed at an AKC show. And besides - aren't GSD smart enough to get through a show without it?

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Wow- I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle that. Was it an AKC show? I didn't think any double handling was allowed at an AKC show. And besides - aren't GSD smart enough to get through a show without it?
    Yes, AKC and yes, double handling is allowed at GSD specialties for sure... but I'm still wondering WTH they are accomplishing by using Duck calls esp (not even sure Schutzhund uses whistles) other than agitating the retriever crowd which seemed to greatly outnumber the GSDs! We only had *1* GSD in Open A and I sure didn't see many in obed or rally. Suffice to say, they need the rest of us to help pay for judges etc.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Gool Lord! What a crazy day!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

And for the icing on the cake, I got Kiku's final OFAs in the mail yesterday-- hips Good, elbows Normal! Yea!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast