Agilty trial day 2

Thread: Agilty trial day 2

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgilty trial day 2

Day two of the trial was long, lots of waiting but fun! This is CPE agility

Here is our standard run. It was a great run, I was very happy. I got too confident at the A frame and he blew the contact so we NQ'd. If I had slowed my body down, he'd have gotten it. Oh well, we learn with each experience right? I am still very happy with how he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqUKOhmWohs

We ended the weekend with a perfect Jumpers run and first place! Ran that in under 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6VdpRZlO_w

I am very happy with my boy! The best part for me is, that I can see by his body language that he thinks this is great fun! I do too! He seems to really like this and that's what is most important to me.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Beautiful jumpers run!!!! You put in a front cross and it was perfect!!!! Great job. The standard run was nice also.

Here's my two cents. Let me just prefice it by this. Agility is my passion. I study it and try to learn all the time. I am partial to non-traditional dogs doing agility. AKA other than border collies. I do not think you want to slow Miles down. What are his expectations on the contacts-running, two on two off? Running contacts let dogs like ours (non-border collies) gain speed. When you start competing in the higher levels of agility and in other venues, you will need the speed. Miles is fast. He can be much faster. A couple of training options for a running contact on the a frame are:

1. Run with dog to a frame and at the middle of the contact roll ball off yellow for him to chase and fetch. Eventually, roll ball off the end of the yellow contact. Keep running yourself.

2. This one has been working for me with my lab. Make a hoop out of a hula hoop or a couple of pieces of pvc. Dog needs to go under the hoop at the end of the a frame. Treat is thrown on ground around 4 ft ahead of him to drive to .

If it were me. I would be working on crosses and speed. You cannot reteach speed when you are farther along.

I am having this problem now. My prior trainers taught me that you stay with you dog when running agility. Dog only goes as quick as you do. Now my lab, Maddie is in Excellent B in AKC. We are working on our MACH. To get a MACH you need double Q's and speed points. To get speed points you have to complete the course under time. You need 750 points. If we only finish the course under time by a couple of seconds (there is a multiplyer for placement) and place 1st. That's 2 points doubled for 1st place, 4 points. Well, that's a whole lot of trials to complete the MACH.

I am now working on speed. Maddie still stays with me somewhat. So, I have to run much, much faster. I have to run so fast sometimes it feels like my heart will beat out of my chest. I have to work faster for her to work faster. She completed a jumpers course of 15 obstacles 3 side changes, or crosses, in 10 seconds. Usually, we are completing 18-20 jumps in 24-29 seconds including side changes.

You have a wonderful opportunity. You can encourage Miles to be faster now. He will enjoy agility more and you will enjoy agility more. You will allow him greater independance.

This dog can be very successful. He runs beautifully and knows his obstacles. I wish you lived closer so we could train together : ) I think you have a future star on your hands.

Happy for you and Miles and your wonderful accomplishments this weekend!!!

Hugs,
    Lisa

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Great job once again! Sounds like you're hooked for sure!

Lisa, your thoughts on contacts is interesting. I too do running contacts (much to the chagrine of my instructor who has Aussies but we rarely miss contacts thankfully). Time w/ Envy is NOT our problem and though Strider does tend to run more w/ Mark (he is Mark's first dog), his points came faster than the Double Qs too. They MACHd in Jan, and are well over half way to MACH2, so labs CAN do it and do it well! Anne

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Wow, Lisa! Thanks for the great advice!

A friend of mine did the PVC thing with her Corgi. I may try something like that, althought the ball might be easier. Maybe I will try that first.

Flying off the contacts hasn't been a problem so far, so maybe he was just excited (I am glad for that!). Maybe the ball will help him keep the enthusiasm but get those paws on the yellow.

Thanks again!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

debjen is offline Senior Member

Very nice..you 2 look very good together.