Our first Utility Leg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first Utility Leg

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first Utility Leg

Hi there. Here's a video of our first qualifying leg in Utility. I am so proud! We got our second leg the next morning.

YouTube - 31911pmMiles

I was at an agilty trial this weekend at Countryside Agility. My obedience instructor is big into agility and she trials there, buys equipment, takes seminars there. So I bought her a gift certificate as a thank you for all the work she has done with us to give her when we get the UD. Denise was getting it ready to print, I said "Stop! What expiration date did you put on that?" She laughed and said 12/2012, I am in no hurry. I said "I know my instructor won't waste any time using that, but I don't know how long that final leg will take!"

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the leg! My, you've had a busy weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    ...Denise was getting it ready to print, I said "Stop! What expiration date did you put on that?" She laughed and said 12/2012, I am in no hurry. I said "I know my instructor won't waste any time using that, but I don't know how long that final leg will take!"
    Here's to hoping you get that last leg before we get our first RA one!

ETA- Just finished watching the video. You guys looked great!
    Last edited by MicksMom; 03-27-2011 at 01:19 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Very nice run!! I liked how you stayed connected to Miles in between exercises.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Thank you very much! Utility was LAST weekend but it took awhile for my friend to send me the video.

Linda, I noticed I was having trouble losing my dog, particularly at the start before the heeling pattern. I'd line up, Miles is looking up at me nicely. The judge says "This is your ### exersize, are you ready?" Being taught all my life to look at people when I they talk to me, I look at the judge. In that moment, I lose Miles. This is one of the reasons heeling has been a problem. One night at a run through, my agility instructors words "Connect with your dog" came to me. I realized, that when he is looking up at me, I need to be looking back him and smiling and looking happy. OMG, what a difference that made! That simple little thing. There is no rule that says you have to look at the judge when they are talking to you. Many of the best handlers I watch don't. I would advise you look at the judge during the signals excersize LOL!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

lcspt is offline Senior Member

There is no rule that says you have to look at the judge when they are talking to you. Many of the best handlers I watch don't. I would advise you look at the judge during the signals excersize LOL!
    My first instructor insisted that we are looking at our dogs when setting up and not looking at the judge. She would role play the judge and ask if we were ready and if we looked at her sure enough the dog looked away and she would say "are you sure? look at your dog". I still follow her advise on this. During signals I try to look where I see mostly the dog and can catch the judges arm movements.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Aerodogs is offline Member

Congratulations, nicely done!

SHR UUJ Nog's Knightly Trek to Hollywood JH CD RA CGC ThD - Delta Cert. "Ryder"

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good job! Bentley would have barked and told that little dog to shut-up though
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

brody is offline Senior Member

That's very cool to watch
    it amazes me that you can do utility and agility at the same time .. I try to picture Sally doing that and while I am sure she would it would be much more frantic and high - you are Miles are lovely to watch
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Thanks Brody! Oh, and many of the dogs are much more animated in that ring than Miles. He's just good ole' boy. Agility is far more stimulating for him. I can't wait to try training him for a JH!

We try for leg #3 this weekend!

Ann & Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast