How many of you ...

Thread: How many of you ...

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow many of you ...

have a formal fitness program established for your dogs?
    I put little Brody on a pretty formal program back in 2008 and think I will do the same this spring with Sally as well.
    I do a mix of cardio and strength training with them generally but mapping it out helps me stay on track
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

How formal is formal??? I subscribe to 3 mile offlead runs/walks/swims on a regular basis here. So far, so good.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Lolabell is offline Member

I'm curious too about your program. Are you conditioning for a sport or hunting?
    Lola 2/9/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I do what Anne does. Run my dog 4 times per week or so.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

deidra is offline Senior Member

My dogs get walked a mile,then some agility in the yard. They also run all day when i'm home and we get good fetch games in!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Field work 5 days a week which includes tons of swimming and running doing water t and swimby, channel blinds, permenant blinds, plus lining drills plus 6-10 marks a day. One very tired pup.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

debjen is offline Senior Member

Does jumping in and out of my lap count..getting up and down to let dogs in and out..hmmmmmmmm

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Nothing formal here, however, they get regular walks, regular fetch time, attend doggy daycare twice a week and they use my house as their own personal track and field facility ... meaning at any time of the day, you can find two of the three running through the house at top speed either after each other or after my cat. They also happen to use my bed as their own personal play pen and I will quite often find them atop of the bed wrestling and doing their thing when everybody else is in the living room watching TV.

brody is offline Senior Member

My program was mainly developed to get Brody fit enough to do 2 BIG back to back trials (agility) one weekend was 2 days the next was three days.
    Brody is not a dog to tear around a field needlessly so it needed to be formal. Hillwork, stretches, road work (on lead) what I know as fartleks (quick run/walk/run activities) , stair work, and of course agility built in.
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller