Utility prep and advice please

Thread: Utility prep and advice please

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

QuestionUtility prep and advice please

Miles has reached the point where he can all the utility skills very well in my yard and at the training center. My instructor says we have to take the show on the road. We've been trying to get to as many run thrus as we can. Akron last week was humbling! We went to another one in Youngstown last night.

I did one run thru and signed up for a second one just to use the ring to train issues from the first run.

Observations. His heeling was very good, we had one oopsie. I am figuring out that I am very stiff in the heeling in run thrus and trials. Miles has a tendency to check out the room anyway and when I turn into a manniquen he really "goes elsewhere". We are definitely having trouble with the automatic sit and we don't in training, so I know I am doing something differentor just my stiffness confuses him. Although our heeling pattern wasn't too bad, we can always practice THAT more so in the second run I got partway through and realized I am allowed to smile at my dog, gee just that brightened him up and relaxed me. I really need to loosen up.

articles and moving stand were great. Gloves were great too but he's starting to anticipate. More than once he took off before I sent him.

His go out, that going to the spot for glove one came back. So in my second go in the ring I asked if we could just alternate glove, go out, glove, go out. I put a tiny target in the go out spot. He did that successfully. We moved back a bit with each go out.

That's what we did. Signed up for 2 runs
    Run 1-did the whole thing
    Run 2-Glove, go out, glove, go out, heeling

I need your advice. I made arrangements to go to a friend's building Friday afternoon for yet another place to practice. I later learned that Cleveland (the trial site for this weekend) is having a run thru Thursday. I definitely plan to go to there Thursday but I am thinking I should probably cancel my plan for Friday. I am worried about burning him out on utility before we even trial. If I go Friday, I won't stay long, just long enough to practice a few things in a new place. Thoughts?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind I haven't gotten beyond Novice, but I did have a couple of ideas. Do you practice heeling without Miles? I remember way back when I started at Top Dog, Linda suggested practicing footwork while you're shopping, walking, etc. That might help you to remember to relax. My other thought- good thinking about not wanting to burn Miles out before the trial. Maybe on Friday just work on the gloves and go outs like you did the other day. The put him "away" and do some heeling without him.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Those are good suggestions, MicksMom. Thanks!

Ann & Miles