training, trials and stuff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: training, trials and stuff

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Defaulttraining, trials and stuff

It's been pretty quiet around here. What's everyone working on?

We've been getting ready for our first try at Utility next month. Have been to run thrus and it's coming along. We are working on increasing "pressure" when he does the excersizes to get him ready to work under pressure. Last night he had to work his articles while my instructor bounced a tennis ball 5 feet away. He looked, trotted around and went back to work. Brought two articles back but one of them was the right one. Big party.

We've been working utility excersizes between runs at agility trials and that has been helping. Talk about distraction training. Lots of bored people around with nothing to do but examine your dog (and who won't think you are a nut) Nothing like having someone play tug with their border collie next to you while doing a stand for exam or signals.

Agility, well we've embarked on Excellent and our last 6 runs went like this:

1 dropped bar
    1 blown contact
    1 pop out of weaves
    1 tunnel discrimination error
    1 tunnel discrimination error
    1 ungraceful Q, but it was Q.

I guess it is good to get used to NQ's when getting ready for Utility!! LOL!

How's everyone doing?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    It's been pretty quiet around here. What's everyone working on?...
    Our task has been getting Caleb to return to heel after the jumps in Rally. He's been 100% at our Thursday afternoon run thrus the past few weeks. I'm hesitant to enter anything just yet, tho. Last week was the best yet- Caleb so "up" that I thought for sure I was going to lose him not only at the jump, but also at the HALT, Fast Forward from Sit, but he proved me wrong and just moved along all bright and happy.

debjen is offline Senior Member

we are getting ready for our first trial since October in 2 weeks. Would like to have everyone in Excellent by the end of the year and maybe some excellent titles, Cedar is completely in Excellent, Robbie needs 2 more open standard legs to be completely in Excellent, Flyer needs 1 more Novice standard leg to be completely in open.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Hi everybody - I've missed our posts on this section too. I am working with Baxter on getting him ready to show in conformation - we've been taking classes on Sundays that will end in a Match on the first Sunday in March. He has come a fairly long way from the "alligator death roll" whenever he didn't want to do something, but still needs some work on his stands so he looks his best. I'm planning on his first show to be the end of April or in May. I'm also working on obedience with him - I had started him in our beginners obedience at my training club, but dropped out after one time because I wanted to concentrate on conformation right now. I would like to start him again soon, but don't really want to start at our beginners class - would rather skip to the next class, so I have to make sure he's ready for that. He is working on heeling, sitting at heel, fronts (he's beautiful with this), long sits and downs (does surprisingly well) "stand for exam" (blends in well with conformation!), his finishes - he learned the right finish very quickly, but I think it will take a little longer to get the left one and "leave it!" So I've been working on alot with him, - the first thing being "Yes- I'm going to put your collar on you! Yes, I'm going to take your collar and guide you a few feet (we call it "collar walk" and I actually needed to teach it to him with treats) and NO - you may not grab the leash and play tug!. I think that we might be ready for Rally this fall - we'll see.

I've been training Emilu a little every night, because it hurts her feeling so if I work with Baxter and not her. I don't have any real plans for her, but I would still like to work on some freestyle dancing - just haven't had time to read up on it so I know how to start.

brody is offline Senior Member

I've been missing everybody too
    Just doing my agility thing when I get a minute ..sometimes that's literally all I get - amazing how many nose touches you can work into a minute!
    trying to sort out my competetion schedule for the spring .. and excited a trainer I really like is coming up in March and June
    worrying way more than I need to about when to retire Brody - I know intellectually he'll tell me .. but worry about overdoing it with him ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Micksmom, Caleb sounds like a fun party boy and that he's coming along. We did so much rally! Your posts bring back memories!

Pat, all that puppy stuff! I forgot about teaching my dog that the leash is not a tug or chew toy! OMG, there are so many things I take for granted with my 5 year old now, I am in for a rude awakening when it is puppy time again!

I absolutely love my agility instructor, she was at the trial where we fell into so many tunnel traps and tonight's class is going to be focuse on that. Of course, this judge seemed to love her tunnel traps and I was definitely not the only student to fall into them. Then she told me about a seminar she's giving soon that is focused on traps and discrimination. Based on the description, it focuses on exactly what we need! It is the same day as an obedience run thru I wanted to go to. What to do, what to do?

I decided to go to the seminar. I love her seminars. I have been to lots of run thrus at Cleveland All breed. There is one at Youngstown I can go to and one at Akron I can go to instead.

Here's a recent utility run thru we did. Our big learning on this one was that one must bring their scent articles if one wants to qualify. LOL!

YouTube - Miles Utility run thru 2/13/2011

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

oh and I forgot to mention I have a new project I will be working on...

In other words I caved...

Meet Redferns Cupid's Bow.....Arrow at 4 days old..a full brother to Flyer.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by debjen View Post
    oh and I forgot to mention I have a new project I will be working on...

In other words I caved...

Meet Redferns Cupid's Bow.....Arrow at 4 days old..a full brother to Flyer.

OH, you are pathetic Debbie! :P
    Here's my current project until I find a suitable co-own for her:

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Oh, I am getting ready to trial again this Sunday too-- first time since Oct for obed. Envy just needs 1 Q for her CDX. Have Kiku entered in Rally Adv B but the times aren't so good so I may skip that. She's almost ready for Open too and Sonya needs to get back at that too. Both girls need 1 Q for JH so that'll be in May. Then agility for both maybe? SH for Envy... Mata needs 1 Q for AX. Fuji is in Open agility. Tango is almost 11 mos so time to start w/ her too. The list never ends here....

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    OH, you are pathetic Debbie! :P
    Here's my current project until I find a suitable co-own for her:

Ut oh Anne..who is this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast