Beginning Novice

Thread: Beginning Novice

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBeginning Novice

So I think I can do this...what I have read is this is a new title being offered by AKC. It looks pretty simple for a true novice competitor. I have never trialed before and have shy dogs. There is a show in March offering this, should I go for it?

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you been training with a group? If you have shy dogs, it could be a disaster to overwhelm them.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Beginning Novice is a good place to start to get on the road to a CD. Since you say your dogs are shy, I would definitely get them into some group sessions and gradually increase the amount of stress and ruckus before taking them into a trial. Do you take them to obedience classes or training groups? That would be a start. Try to get to some run throughs if any of the clubs or training centers in your area offer them. Stress levels are high in a trial. You want your dog has a positive experience. Make sure you know how to keep YOUR DOG safe and secure in that environment. By that I mean, know how to manage your dog to avoid a potential conflict. Unfortunately, not everyone that takes their dogs to obedience trials pays attention to what is going on at the end of their leash when they are outside the ring. You can't assume as you walk by that their dog will just stand there politely as your dog goes by. You need to know how to manage that situation before your dog has a bad experience.

You should also go to run throughs and strange places to ensure your dog will still perform the exersizes amid the many distractions going on at a trial.

Let us know what you decide.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

You have time to work them happily and gently in stressful situations between now and march - if you can be realistic in your expectations (having fun, seeing where you have holes etc I think it might be a great goal to have
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? Some of us might know where show and go's are being held next month if we're in your area.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I train at an obedience club...but the dog I think is most ready is Gordy, my labrador and it has been a while since I had him in classes. I just spoke to my trainer last night and we are going to do a "mock" run through next week and he will tell me what to work on. February they start a new class, but now I wonder if this will give me enough time. There is another small show in June but I am not sure if they will offer Beginning Novice. I know not all shows will.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Jeb has his Rally Novice title. Our trainer thought Beginning Novice would be a good transition for our dogs. Jeb got his first leg today. Having never trained a dog, for me Rally was a great place to start. I agree that you need to train in group sitiuations. Trials can be stressful with TONS of distractions. Rally or beginning Novice are good starting points. Remember to have fun and keep expections doable. It's been great to see Jeb grow in his abilities.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC