Open Obedience and an agility run thru.

Thread: Open Obedience and an agility run thru.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

TalkingOpen Obedience and an agility run thru.

Okay, my dog had a busy weekend. We went to Youngstown All Breed and did rally Friday night. We skipped Saturday and went back Sunday to give Open a try. We only entered Open for one day on the advice of my instructor. She felt we were "almost ready" and thought that this would be good to do since there aren't any matches in the area.

I was so NERVOUS. We were second in the ring because one person moved up (can you believe that?) and two didn't show, so suddenly, I went from 5th in the ring to 2nd. It was nice to get it over with. Our heeling was terrible. We lost 11 points on the heel free and figure 8. I know it had alot to do with mom's nerves. Miles probably thought I was scary and decided to focus his attention on the dog doing articles in the next ring. The drop on recall was okay -2. Flat retrieve -1 1/2 probably because of my terrible throw. Retrieve over jump was great -1 (probably a crooked sit). Broad jump I thought was perfect but the judge deducted 1/2. Sits and downs were fine. WE QUALIFIED!! 183 1/2 was our score. In spite of the ghastly healing, we qualified! I was elated!

Then we went to Washingtonville for an agility run thru that started at noon. It worked out great because I was already out that way and the timing was perfect. This is where our first agility trial this weekend will be held so I didn't want to pass it up. When we got there, Miles seemed resigned. More work? Then he heard the tunnels and he perked right up! It was like a reward for exhibiting so much self control in obedience. I attached a link of our second run. The lady that video taped us told me I should have used a front cross at the tunnel (I did in the first run and I didn't like the angle of the jump so I tried something else) and after the teeter. That would have eliminating the whirling. Since Miles just started doing regulation height teeter, I helped with it. We intentionally skipped the weaves because I haven't training straight weaves yet (winter project) and I didn't want him practicing something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8TtMmoMWA

What do you think?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

By the way, Susan, I looked for you but didn't see you. We got in and out of there so fast, I probably left before you arrived.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    The lady that video taped us told me I should have used a front cross at the tunnel (I did in the first run and I didn't like the angle of the jump so I tried something else) and after the teeter. That would have eliminating the whirling. Since Miles just started doing regulation height teeter, I helped with it. We intentionally skipped the weaves because I haven't training straight weaves yet (winter project) and I didn't want him practicing something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8TtMmoMWA

What do you think?
    I think you made good choices for you and your dog - I can't see utube here but helping on the teeter adn skipping somehthing you haven't trained make a lot of sense to me
    people will give you advice when you trial - some of it is good advice some of it is not - I smile and say thank you to all advice then pick it apart and consider it later ... hindsight is often 20/20 after all
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

If it is a fun run you are allowed to train in the ring. You did the right thing!!! He did just fine on the teeter. My only suggestion is to add some crosses. Front crosses would be my opinion. One before the teeter would have set him up for it better and allowed you to be on the correct side. A front cross after the 1st and 2nd triple would also put you on a better line and prevent him from curling in towards you. After watching this a few times I think you are trying a rear cross. However, your dog is not far ahead of you enough for a rear cross and a front cross is in order.

I really love that he seems to know all of his obstacles. He is very motivated and could be pushed to be fast. You have a lovely graceful way of running with him. I am envious of that, I am rather clumsy and clunky His lead out is beautiful.

Great job!!!!!! Keep posting those videos!!

Lisa

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the Open leg!! Glad agility was a great reward for Miles!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Awesome! Congrats on your Open leg. That is wonderful.

Your run-thru looks great. I am so jealous of that facility!!! We have nothing like that in my area. Beautiful!!

Thanks for the feedback. Lisa, you are right, I was trying rear crosses and I don't know how to do them. Yes, your feedback is similar to that I got from Gail, front crosses in two places.

Linda, yes, that is a great facility! It is about 1 1/2 hours away from me (Washingtonville, OH) but it is my favorite place to trial. In addition to what you see in the video, there is lots of crating space, clean bathrooms (I have learned not to take that for granted!) and, outside huge fields where I can go out and throw the ball for my dog to give him a chance to have a destress break and stretch his legs.

Ann & Miles

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - I saw your name in the YABTC catalog but didn't get to see your Open run. Good for you for a Q. I think Open A is tough. Really a big step up from Novice. Sometimes I think you have to take the chance and show just to know where you stand in a show situation. And then to go and do Agility the same day - what a great reward for Miles!!!
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

I forgot to mention that when I went in the ring, I forgot the dumbbell and had to go back and get it . Then, when we went to the starting line for healing. The judge said "take the apron off!". I was heading over to the line with the leash. By the time we got to the line, I was a wreck!

Ann & Miles