Miles makes his return to competition

Thread: Miles makes his return to competition

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMiles makes his return to competition

After a month long layoff from pretty much all activity due to surgery on his ankle and a month of easing back, Miles made his return to the competition ring at a CPE Agility trial last weekend.

This was Jackpot. First run back. I guess we need are rusty on the distance work. I think I should have cued the tunnel before the jump. I cued it too late, he was going for it, but when I jerked back to stay behind the line, my body movement pulled him off the tunnel. He did exactly as he was told! Not sure how to handle that last jump differently.

YouTube - CPE Agility Jackpot Level 2

This is Colors. I chose the "red" course because I wanted the dog walk because Standard was jump to tunnel and I wanted to practice the discrimination, however it was pretty easy with the lead out. I tried a rear cross at the end but he wasn't far enough ahead of me and I ended up turning him off the jump. I can see, he did exactly as he was told. We still Q'd with that. AKC would've called it a refusal, I know. I think I should have been farther out left at the second jump and slowed a bit so I did the cross after he took off from the jump, or waited and do a turn on the flat after. My Tuesday instructor has declared January "rear cross month!".

YouTube - CPE Agility Colors Level 3

This one was good. We Q'd and got first place.

YouTube - CPE Agility Standard Level 2

Our final run was Snooker and that one was awesome! We finally Q'd in Snooker and finished CL1. We were the third to last team in the ring for the weekend so there was no one around I could ask to video. Those who were there were busily packing up!

It felt great to be back and I was glad to have a warm up before doing AKC Excellent A at the end of the month!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

He did do exactly what he was told in the colours course - you flipped up your outside arm and turned him very nicely - what a GOD boy he is

one hint I got for jackpot classes is to stay back an extra foot (at least) from the line - it gives you a lot more play room if things go south a little and the extra foot doesn't make much difference to the distance

Congrats - nice to see you back at it
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Coyote is offline Junior Member

Nice job. See you in Cleveland at the end of the month.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I will be there!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Good Job Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Awwww, the last video - Standard LEvel 2 was SO good! He just motored!

Thanks!!!

Ann & Miles

brody is offline Senior Member

just watched that lovely standard run again and the jackpot specifically looking at the last jump - I think leaving more room between you and the line would have helped there as well
    had you been able to more forward and towards the second jump you would have been cueing him to move laterally beside you instead of returning to you ... .easy to say - not nearly as easy to do
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I think you are right, Brody.

Thanks!

Ann & Miles