Agility?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agility?

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility?

I know most of you compete in agility; what's the minimum age you'd consider competing with a dog, keeping hip/elbow health and clearances in mind? We've been taking some agility classes and having plenty of fun, and there is a show kind of close in January...

Thoughts?
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I personally don't do much agility w/ my dogs until they are 2 and have had their OFAs since "stuff happens" in agility--- twisty courses that cause bad landings, bale offs of dogwalk, teeter, a frame, etc.. I will start them in a puppy class if available but the jumping is 6" at most in those classes. I try not to jump heights much more than elbow height until growth plates close.

I really want my dogs to have their CDX title first anyhow, since agility is more for fun around here.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Yep, the class has been 8" jumps in a dirt riding arena and a lot of concern over dog safety, just wasn't sure about competition. I've really just been trying to introduce him to a little bit of everything, especially since he's most moldable at this age, and then I guess as he grows older I'll figure out what he likes best/what we're going to focus on the most.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

depends on the size of the dog, but I would consider 18 mos to be the earliest. (Sophie is 4 now and we're just starting her competitive career). I wouldn't start a lab before two at the youngest.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Here's a cool agility video. It is a fun video to watch. My instructor sent it to us because with slow mo, you can really see the "stuff" that happens. Of course her angle was to point out the importance of safe contact handling and how the handler actions caused most of the problems that can be easily seen in this video. It is a cool video to watch.

YouTube - Agility competition "PRAGIL" (6.-7.11.2010 M

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

brody is offline Senior Member

2 generally
    I did one little trial at 18 months but at a lower height than Sally jumps now and no contacts in the class we entered - for us it was a good experience
    but I then ended up taking 2 years off (not the dogs or my choice) and it was the best thing for Sally

I have a 18 month old golden I have been PLAYING with for a year occasionally - he jumps 10 inches now - and is up to 5 obstacle sequences He will not be competing until he is at least 3 (if he competes at all)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    Here's a cool agility video. It is a fun video to watch. My instructor sent it to us because with slow mo, you can really see the "stuff" that happens. Of course her angle was to point out the importance of safe contact handling and how the handler actions caused most of the problems that can be easily seen in this video. It is a cool video to watch.

YouTube - Agility competition "PRAGIL" (6.-7.11.2010 M
    Ughhh, that hurt just to watch!!! Mata took an incisor out hitting a bar just right and crashing on top of it a few years ago.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

It's a cool video though! It is giving me pause on how soon to return Miles to class. Of course, in class, we can keep it mild for a few weeks. It shows how hard are dogs really do try for us!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

Hey Idaho Labs, have you talked to your instructor about it? What does he/she say? I know my instructor warned us at the beginning not to trial too early, we can build bad habits. However, after about 10 mos of training, he said we were ready. Although I had to ask, he didn't come up to me and say "you know, you are ready to trial....".

Ann & Miles

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

2-3 years old. depends on speed and build of dog. also depends how light on their feet your dog is. A dog that is running 6-7 yards per second should probably wait longer than a dog that is running 3-4 yards per second. Any dog should be ready for master type courses before running Novicem because you will blow thru novice and into open very quickly with most dogs.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast