what would YOU do?

Thread: what would YOU do?

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhat would YOU do?

thoroughly enjoying my agility comeback tour.. LOVING it in fact

can see the future with Sally (I'm doing all classes except standard with her at the moment and once she is a little more reliable on contacts I'll start addding in the odd standard course)

Thea is my play dog .. she trials in good weather and doesn't really get to train - and that's fine with both of us

Brody is where I wonder what you might do?
    Brody is the wee fellow in my signature picture. He is 10.5 years old. He trialed in the last half of 2007 and the first half of 2008. He runs at the masters level in everything. He has earned Qs in all masters classes except gamblers (which he only did a couple of times back in 2008).
    He was my first agility and as such has some training quirks I live with. He only weaves on side for example. This summer I did tons of 2x2 work with him - which has totally improved his weave entries but for him it just isn't clicking over to offside weaves. Because he is Brody it is a quirk that I can manage. He has incredible running contacts on the dog walk and the a frame. I wish I knew how to replicate them.
    He does not do great distance work. Gamblers is really hard for him. His advanced gambles qs both came on the same night and were fairly complicated (2 years ago don't forget) one was a 4 obstacle thing with an aframe; the other was a really warped line with a tire, tunnel and a teeter.

My question is would you do gamblers classes with him? or appreciate all you have done with him already. He needs 3 gamblers qs to be able to get his ATCH which is a prerequiste for all other awards. I don't know if it would frustrate him (or me) to work on gamblers. At 10.5 and with his amazing success he owes me NOTHING. He is healthy, fit and enjoys agility.

thanks for thinking about it - I really feel torn
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Since I don't do agility, I don't know how much help I can be. But, my personal opinion is, as long as health permits, the time to stop is when whatever you're doing is no longer fun for either you or the dog. Not much help, huh?

it does help actually
    Brody doesn't want to retire or stop agility - at least not today - but I'm torn about the gamblers class .. I think what I`ll do is play in it - enter it when it`s in a good spot on a schedule and not sweat it too much .. if I get nuts about it then I can quit that class ...

thanks

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

I was going to say..enter Gamblers .. have fun and if you get great..if not you are having fun with Brody

sometimes all I need is a sounding board

you guys rock ...

I wish Brody was a gambling fool - but I love running a snooker King too so what can a gal do

thanks

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I would say as long as Brody enjoys it, go for it.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

It's not Brody I'm worried about - I can fake not getting the gamble is ok (well actually that something is the gamble most likely) so he'll be ok .. the way we eventually got them was I'd just run in and support him the minute he got confused ... eventually he stopped getting confused .. now in masters thats a lot harder as they'll blow the whistle the minute my foot crosses the tape which means head for the out gate which up til masters let you do the gamble on the way - in masters they quite often turn the dogs back on themselves ....

kaytris is offline Senior Member

what about doing some CPE gambles where you can go in and help him out , to solidify things before going AAC ? I know , not much opportunity for it but..

Jackpot in CPE is a real crap shoot ... sometimes it's sort of a gamblers set up
    sometimes it's totally not - not a bad idea - although now jackpot isn't that easy for Brody - he needs a boatload of points now

next CPE around here is Feb I think - I might be able to be that patient