So why didn't you do that at the trial????

Thread: So why didn't you do that at the trial????

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo why didn't you do that at the trial????

So for the last 2 trial weekends Flyer had forgotten how to do his weaves (as did the other 2 dogs)..so this weekend we went out to practice our weaves and I was thinking we would go back to the beginning of the 2 x 2 and work our way up through the steps again just to reinforce them with all of the dogs..well before we started I thought we'll just try the weaves and see...

Well Flyer was doing 12 weave poles at speed with other obstacles without putting a step wrong..ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeesssssssssss hhhhhhhh why couldn't you do that at a trial...so get the next dog out ..Robbie whose weaves have always been a problem at trials (stress point)..12 weaves at speed with obstacles not a wrong step...okay..Let's see what Cedar will do (Cedar who thought there were only 10 weave poles for the last 2 weekends)...guess what happened..12 weaves at speed with other obstacles not a pop out in sight...

Well guys how am I suppose to fix a problem when there is no problems in practice..argggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Does the handler "believe" in her boys at the trials as much as she does at practice??????????

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Ah yes, the age old dilemma, home vs trial! There are many ways to recreate trial situations, and yet it can be so hard.... Can you train with another person, dogs, all the noise, jumps etc? Try to recreate YOUR stress (TRY acting nervous, thinking about stressful things when you train etc)?

I know that if I could have the dog I have in my backyard, Kodi and Hoss would have our BOTCH (Backyard OTCH).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Creates it's whole own stress doesn't it?

All I can suggest is proofing like crazy ... toys, food containers (covered at first), open umbrellas whatever distractions you can think of out as you work weaves...

one at a time far away to close ... Sally hates proofing days and she makes GOOGLY eyes at the toys but she has learned that you can't get the good stuff til you do what I want

I will say it makes trial weaving seem easy once you are p to a level of super proofing (I'm not there entirely but I'm always glad to see plain old poles already!)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    Creates it's whole own stress doesn't it?

All I can suggest is proofing like crazy ...... Sally hates proofing days and she makes GOOGLY eyes at the toys but she has learned that you can't get the good stuff til you do what I want

I will say it makes trial weaving seem easy once you are p to a level of super proofing (I'm not there entirely but I'm always glad to see plain old poles already!)
    I take a proofing class for obedience with Kodi. The things we come up with are hilarious. One of the dogs has issues with the moving stand with the judge coming at her. Appropriate to the dog, we come at her wheezing, limping, with bags on our head, looking like "death", toys running around on the floor, lights flashing, clothes dragging over her body, anything we can come up with. Like you say, it makes the real thing seem like childs play!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

debjen is offline Senior Member

Why I haven't gone to extreme proofing we do train with other people and noise often two dogs out at the same time..Flyer is so good I still have to remember that he is only just turned 2 and needs more seasoning in places other than our training building. Unfortunately with winter coming on not sure we'll have too many opportunites to do that until next year but we also probably won't be trialing until next March.