"Fat Foo" finished her Nov agility title

Thread: "Fat Foo" finished her Nov agility title

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Default"Fat Foo" finished her Nov agility title

Fat Foo as I affectionately call Fuji at this time of year (too many apples supplementing the diets of my dogs here!) finished up her final Q needed for NA yesterday at our local agility trials. Fuji and I had a late start w/ agility as she's almost 7 yrs old, but she's having fun nonetheless! I was a bit tentative about agility w/ her since she had a bad neck injury when younger, and was warned that the treatment (prolotherapy injections to toughen the damaged muscles,etc) may have to be redone after a few years. It has held great though. She also picked up her 2nd JWW Q w/a clean run on Sat but dropped *2* bars on Sunday, ackkk!

It was a wild afternoon yeseterday w/ gusts of winds holding the teeter in the upright position (w/ several toy dogs suspended or flying off!) and several dogs baling off the dogwalk due to the high side wind there, but thankfully Fuji is used to more winds than most dogs due to our location.

Our main obstacle in Standard to get reacquainted with was the "new" rubberized coating on the contact equip, esp on the teeter. I was pretty sure that was why she had baled off the teeter the day before, as I pulled my own teeter (just the sand/paint finish) out and she did that one beautifully. The equip had been upgraded last fall, so she HAD been on it for 3 or 4 trials last fall (and it took at least 2 before she was okay w/ the feel of it then) but I think she forgot over the past year of not competing on it. We hadn't had time to do agility due to my tending to 2 litters this past year and doing obed/hunt test training and trials w/ the youngsters, but Fuji is always ready to go when I do have a chance! We're entered in the Lab trial in 2 wks along w/ Mata who just came out of season a couple weeks ago so was also training deprived. She's running excellent so I knew she wasn't quite ready to get back into it. Anne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats Anne..it sure was wild out there on Sunday..*G*..We had another perfect NQ weekend.. (dang weave poles there are 12 Cedar not 10).. but had some nice runs anyway.

Yes, those darned weaves. You sure weren't alone there though. After watching so many of the little dogs (and even big dogs who must have thought it was a dead ended dogwalk!) have issues on the teeter and dogwalk in Open std, I was getting very nervous. Thankfully we didn't get any strong gusts til the dogwalk, and i did have to tell Fuji to MOVE IT at that point as she really slowed down on it. I sure didn't want her baling off the dog walk and causing more neck and back issues!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Congrats!
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on a great weekend. With the wind, wow, any dog that doesn't bail, kudos!

I know what you mean about the time factor. It is always a juggle fitting it all in!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Hurray for you and Fuji. More success coming I'm sure.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

brody is offline Senior Member

aww congrats

I'm being encouraged to get a akc # for my mixes to open up some options when I head south of the border

I'd love a review of the venues I don't know - akc and whatever ( I only know ac and cpe)

I love mature dog start up stories
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    aww congrats

I'm being encouraged to get a akc # for my mixes to open up some options when I head south of the border

I'd love a review of the venues I don't know - akc and whatever ( I only know ac and cpe)

I love mature dog start up stories
    I have to say I think it depends on the part of the country you are in on what to expect course wise. We just dont get courses anywhere close to what are diagrammed in the AKC reg book. I've also been told by judges out here that they don't DARE use some of the same courses back east as they slam us with. And I believe it after seeing course maps and running under midwest / east coast judges (who gave me courses at the upper levels that I could actually remember, lol). Our one Nov JWW on Sunday, for instance, would have required a few side changes and definitely off side weaves if I had run it the way intended, but fortunately a nice lead out (one advantage of running a CDX trained dog!) was possible to cut one of the side changes out. I think I had to do offside weaves 3 of 4 times for Nov last weekend and it didn't use to be that way. I have a hard time even remembering the Excellent courses, so have handed Mata off to Strider's owner most of the time.